Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good video (component) selector

1. Good video (component) selector

okay my sources are outgrowing my inputs and i need a good system selector that does both s-video and component out. the jvc 5 switch seems the way to go but the fact that it's still about $80 when you can actually find it still puts me off. i don't want some cheap madcatz/pelican shit because i have one now and it degrades the signal. are there any other companies cheaper than the jvc, but still quality?

2. I have the JVC S-111. It's great but... it's kind of expensive (I think I paid close to $80 which you say is too much... in fact, maybe it's the exact one you're talking about), and it's not sold new anymore, so you'd have to ebay it.

3. The pelican one works great for me. It has all the hook ups you want and doesn't seem like it degrades the signal at all. Even has hook up for you broadband internet connection.

The one i have comes with a remote as well.

Review from http://xbox.about.com/od/xboxaccesso...sselprorev.htm

Features
    The Pelican System Selector Pro is a massive device at first glance, but it actually has an industry standard footprint so you should be able to stack it with your DVD player or VCR or stereo equipment with ease. It features seven composite/s-vide/component inputs on the back with an eighth input hidden on the front of the unit. Three of the inputs on the back also include Ethernet ports and optical digital audio. There is also, of course, outputs for all of these hookups as well as an extra set of red and white audio outputs so you can hook the System Selector Pro up to a TV and stereo at the same time. The front of the unit features eight buttons with removable name plates so you can have the right labels associated with each button. The unit also comes with a simple remote control so you can easily switch systems. Another feature that sets the Pro apart from Pelican’s other system selector is that it is powered so you’ll have to find an open plug in for it.
    Last edited by Daitokuji; 07 Sep 2006 at 10:45 PM.

4. [edit]: Yeah, mine has 5 selector switches, so this is probably the one you were talking about. So... nevermind.

JVC makes a smaller 3 selector box for $50, but it's component only. I have two of those, they're also great.

5. yeah the $50 jvc is only 3 inputs right? i'll want more than that for sure.

dai, that pelican is sold at best buy (or at least WAS) wasnt it? i'd love to get one that auto sources instead of having to press a button but im sure all of those are money.

6. I have the old version of Pelican, there is a new one and it is sleeker and has a remote. Anyway, I love mine, I did not see any signal degradation but my friend doesn't like his because he thinks the PS2 games look muddy. I think it has more to do with the fact that it is PS2 than the selector itself.

7. I also have the Pelican switcher kof discribes and I have never noticed any signal degrade either.

8. I have the older Pelican component selector and I send 720p and 1080i through it and notice no signal degredation at all on it

I'm thinking about picking up the new one. I believe the LCD front on it is programable and it does have a remote, probably turn the one I have now into an S-video selector since I have a bunch of shit hooked up through Composite that could go S-video if I had another selector for it.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    I have the older Pelican component selector and I send 720p and 1080i through it and notice no signal degredation at all on it
    Got it from eBay used for $39. Mine is black though, not silver. But with 9 HD inputs I dont care what color it is.

10. I have that one, but haven't used it yet (a friend left it behind)...the pro version is 100 bucks isn't it?

Another option is to get a receiver that can do HD component switching as well. Mine can do it, of course that is way more money, but if you need a new DTS receiver, you can kill 2 birds with one stone.

ssb
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"