Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Constellation of Stupidity

1. "yeah.....so my boyfriend really wants this one game"

2. "Gaming is Stupid, Canada is a Myth"
    Time for a change

3. Quote Originally Posted by arjue View Post
    "Clerks"
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post
    Actually, I should add to this response. When I first had the idea to write a story about retail, I very much copied ideas from Clerks without ever seeing the movie (or even knowing it existed).

After reevaluating the stor(ies) I wanted to tell, I came up with something more in the vein of Douglas Coupland's Microserfs and Neil Straus's The Game.

On an unrelated note: I believe The Game is a must read for Buttcheeks/Ironplant. I always forget to tell him though.

4. Meh. It was more about Hugo Ellis (you're hugo ellis I presume?) than video game retail, but I guess that's the interesting part (as mentioned with people wanting to know more about his drunken room mate stealing bar stools). I don't like the blog format either, it seems like a kind of lazy way to do things instead of reformatting things to flow nicely. Maybe that was your goal. I'm no literary master myself but that's how I felt when I read it.

hugoellis.com doesn't work anymore.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 30 Sep 2006 at 01:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. I appreciate your feedback, but there are things about your critique that puzzle me:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Meh. It was more about Hugo Ellis (you're hugo ellis I presume?) than video game retail, but I guess that's the interesting part (as mentioned with people wanting to know more about his drunken room mate stealing bar stools).
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    The long and short: I'm writing a novel that's loosely based on a true story that happened 2 years ago. Yes, it's about gaming retail. But it's also about the many lies I've told, a "crazy" pseudo-stalker I had to get rid of, and a ton of weird people and situations I encountered along the way. It's also about sex (none for me) drugs (a bit for me) and rock and roll (mostly Korn... and totally not for me).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo, on page four and five
    Over the years, I’ve received many emails about my personality, history and attitude towards my homeland. Common questions and comments:

1) Were you always such a bitter asshole? (See: Hugo makes E3 booth babe cry; security is called)
    2) Why did you move to San Francisco?
    3) How and why did you become a journalist?
    4) What were you doing before coming to San Francisco?
    5) Who are these people you make scattered mentions of (Chris and Sameron, for example)?
    6) Why the hatred for gaming retail? (See: I hate videogame retailers)

I’ve started a new, longer tale to answer all these questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me, one post up
    Actually, I should add to this response. When I first had the idea to write a story about retail, I very much copied ideas from Clerks without ever seeing the movie (or even knowing it existed).

After reevaluating the stor(ies) I wanted to tell, I came up with something more in the vein of Douglas Coupland's Microserfs and Neil Straus's The Game.
    It is about gaming retail, and it's about Hugo's life. But a lot of what makes up working in a shitty job is how lower management (Hugo) can -- idiotically -- allow their relatively unimportant occupation to consume every facet of their life. I've seen this happen to countless employees. The way it plays out, I find, is fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I don't like the blog format either, it seems like a kind of lazy way to do things instead of reformatting things to flow nicely. Maybe that was your goal. I'm no literary master myself but that's how I felt when I read it.
    The blog idea came to me because... well, everyone has a blog nowadays, and I figured it'd be an interesting vehicle for the story. Tucker Max and Maddox are signing book deals. Just recently, Max actually signed a deal with a Simon and Schuester for his next book. (Random comment: I heard somewhere that bloggers are really just failed reporters.)

I always considered ditching the format in the event that everyone who read the story happened to dispise the way it was written. In fact, as it stands now, if you got rid of the format, the story would sound exactly the same.
    I do plan to make the format more instrumental to the narrative. But this will obviously come later.

I'm no literary master either (obviously!). But I don't think the blog format ruins the narrative's flow one way or the either. Right now, the comments section plays a wholly minor role in the story, and this only occurs three times:

1) To make fun of the author for something he does;
    2) To question the author about a questionable rant he makes about the video game industry, and;
    3) To ask him an entirely unrelated question about the store at which he was previously employed.

As I said earlier: if you ignored the blog aspects, it would read like a typical (albeit amateur) story.

But, really, what the hell do I know? I may have completely missed your point entirely. I could also be presiding over the world's worst piece of fiction here.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 30 Sep 2006 at 07:51 PM.

6. I guess I was half expecting a kind of Clerks thing about the job itself more than the person being consumed by some miniscule event in his life (or what should be -- a bad retail job). I guess in that light it is exactly what you wanted it to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. Okay, so I can't edit the thread title anymore, or delete it. *mod: could I?*

Anyway, that book I was talking about? I finished it. Again, I want to know why you hate it.

Btw., Andrew: It is no longer a blog.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 25 Dec 2009 at 12:52 PM.

8. Dude you wrote a 325 page book! Very cool.

Will read and report back.

Whatever happened to all those people writing a book in a month?

9. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    Whatever happened to all those people writing a book in a month?
    I hear about this all the time. I could not do it. This took four years—off and on—to do.

10. I won't promise to make it to the finish line, but I'm going to fire her up and see how it goes.

Good job following through and getting something completed. Writing a book has been a goal of mine... getting around to it and actually digging in is way easier said than done.