Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Literature Anyone?

1. Quote Originally Posted by enigmajelly View Post
    Joyce's short stories caught my interest, but I've never even attempted Ulysses. Hemmingway is probably my favorite classical writer. I really dig his peared down, minimalist style.

Suggestions:
    100 Years of Solitude-Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    Satanic Verses-Salman Rushdie
    Slaughterhouse 5-Vonnegut

I'd like to add to your list. Read "Love in the Times of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia. I enjoyed this book alot more than "100 Years of Solitude", and I loved that book.
    "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" by Milan Kundera.
    "Breakfast of Champions" Kurt Vonnegut. I didn't really like Slaughterhouse 5, but I really enjoyed this book.

2. I guess I should've said Vonnegut in general. I love all of his work. I've never read "Love in the Times of Cholera", but intend to. I'm having trouble staying interested in "The Idiot", we'll see where it goes.

It could be argued that 1984 isn't true "high-Lit", but that book literally changed the way I look at the world. Every word of it is profound. Orwell deserves every bit of notoriety he has.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Tenchimo Dos View Post
    "Breakfast of Champions" Kurt Vonnegut. I didn't really like Slaughterhouse 5, but I really enjoyed this book.
    If Breakfast of Champions is the one with all the drawings througout than I agree. I loved that book.

4. I just finished The Catcher in the Rye. I'm pissed off that I never got a chance to read it in highschool; I've no one to discuss it with now.

Next up is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Quote Originally Posted by enigmajelly View Post
    It could be argued that 1984 isn't true "high-Lit", but that book literally changed the way I look at the world. Every word of it is profound. Orwell deserves every bit of notoriety he has.
    I'll bite: how is it not true 'high lit'?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post

I'll bite: how is it not true 'high lit'?
    Personally, I think 1984 is the finest piece of literature the 20th century produced. But I could understand someone disagreeing. Generally when one thinks about the upper eschelon of literature they're talking Tolstoy, Faulkner, and the like. It was a flippant comment, I don't have any critical commentary to back it up.

Oh, and Huck Finn sucks. At least my memory is that it sucked. If I read it again (been ~10yrs) I might think differently.

6. Quote Originally Posted by enigmajelly View Post
    Oh, and Huck Finn sucks. At least my memory is that it sucked. If I read it again (been ~10yrs) I might think differently.
    You're the second person to say this. Crap.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post
    I just finished The Catcher in the Rye. I'm pissed off that I never got a chance to read it in highschool; I've no one to discuss it with now.
    I didn't read it in HS either, I was like "oh, this book is lame they are making us read it." So, I finally read it at the beginning of this year, and wow. It changed my life. What a brilliant, brilliant work it is. 9 stories by Salinger is interesting too.

I actually read a ridiculous amount, there are times when I've read about 400 or so books a year. Lots of "high literature," I guess you could call it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

8. The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare by G. K. Chesterton

Also, if you're going to read Vonnegut read Cat's Cradle.
    Time for a change

Vonnegut rocks. I used to manage his pension plan.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

10. I read Catcher in the Rye in highschool. What ever convinced people to try and torture students in that way I don't know.

Heres the thing. I enjoy reading, but apparently I enjoy reading books that aren't heavily weighed down by information in every paragraph. So I guess I don't enjoy reading literature, but I do enjoy reading.

And I'm sorry I'm dead to you enigma. I imagine if I were to read the book now, I might find it more to my liking. At the time I read it I could a Clancy book in 4 hours but wouldn't really savor it.