Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad News in the comic world

1. Sad News in the comic world

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

2. Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. That really is sad. I was really into xmen leaving the 80's and dug the cartoons quite a bit as well. He will be missed.

However this is what really hurts the most.

Cockrum received no movie royalties, said family friend Clifford Meth, who organized efforts to help Cockrum and his family during his protracted medical care.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

4. That's a tragedy.

Though I have to admit, when i saw this thread title I thought Stan Lee died.

5. If Stan Lee died I would have put this in Sound Off. But at least he enjoyed seeing his characters come to life on screen, though him getting no royalities is a freaking crime.

6. Fuck Stan Lee. He's always mouthing off about being the father of comics when people like Ditko, Kirby and Cockrum, who had just as much to do with creating Marvel, get left in the dark. Lee has made a fortune of off all these guys who have died poor and without being truly acknowledged.

In terms of the actual work, Lee was a terrible writer, even for cheesy macho shit like Marvel. Just look at his recent failed attempts to hang with modern pros, like Ravage 2099 (a classic staple for any 10 cent bin) and Stan Lee Writes DC Shit or whatever that one was called.

7. Think that if you like, but when I read the comics that really established Marvel, I see a lot of Stan Lee's persona in those. The Marvel attitude, from what I can tell, flowed more from him than anyone else. It even permeated most of the reader mail that was printed. (Heh, maybe Marvel faked a lot of letters?)

It's okay to appreciate more than one kind of thing and attribute success to more than one factor. You may enjoy drawing more than writing; with me it's the opposite. But I'm not going to say "Fuck Jack Kirby. Captain Victory and the Galactic Rangers flopped!" His later success doesn't diminish his life's accomplishments. Similarly, it is irrelevant if Stan Lee in the 90s could write like Peter David or whoever else in the 90s. Stan did some great things and he is rightfully idolized, in my opinion. Incidentally, I think he went through a very long period of getting ripped off by production companies as well - and in any case, what evidence is there that he tried to hold anyone back? He's just a natural spotlight grabber.

Cockrum wasn't a household name, but he is also a major part of Marvel's success. His work will live on forever.

8. Word. I grew up with Cockrum's X-Men. He'll always be the man.

It's a fucking crime that he didn't get any royalties though. I don't remember, but is he at least acknowledged in the film credits?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Word. I grew up with Cockrum's X-Men. He'll always be the man.

It's a fucking crime that he didn't get any royalties though. I don't remember, but is he at least acknowledged in the film credits?

Truth.

I know the first film he's not.

The royalties thing sucks, due to back in the day the publisher wanted all the rights. Marvel owned all the properties Cockrum came up with ... Which is WHY Image was formed.

10. Cockrum was one of those talents that I always felt never got enough respect. Real clean lines, great designs (Nightcrawler is my favorite looking X man). I'll have to dig out some of my old Futurians stuff and read through it again.