Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm idiot. GIve me books to make me smarter

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    "Let’s see if we can't elevate said problem"
    LOL was that intentional too? You want to be an even bigger idiot?
    lol, ok, I think I was aiming for "Let's see if we can't elevate me above said problem."

see, I'm retarded. Help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Remind me of those.
    hmmm. The only thing I can think of is taxation. And maybe unions and salary.

Oh, and to not spell pasta with an "o". But I have a feeling you haven't read any books about that lately.

2. http://www.amazon.com/Perfectly-Lega...e=UTF8&s=books

Written by the NYT reporter on taxation. It's very well sourced and the analysis is impeccable.

3. No, you were thinking of alleviate I am sure ;p

http://www.amazon.com/Perfectly-Lega...e=UTF8&s=books

Written by the NYT reporter on taxation. It's very well sourced and the analysis is impeccable.

hmmm. You wouldn't perhaps know of any books with a good counter argument? It seems that a few of those reviewers feel that the book is a bit biased. I'd like to have a well rounded out look on this topic if I'm going to take the time to read up on it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post
    hmmm. You wouldn't perhaps know of any books with a good counter argument? It seems that a few of those reviewers feel that the book is a bit biased. I'd like to have a well rounded out look on this topic if I'm going to take the time to read up on it.
    1. you dont know who those people are.
    2. I dont even know what a good counter-argument is. That the tax system is, umm... fair? That it is well-designed? That it is efficient? I think you'd be lucky to find a single person that thinks any of that.
    3. As I already said the book is sourced well and the analysis of the numbers is impeccable. It's really as "unbiased" as can be possible, he just presents the facts, you can come to the conclusions. The writer is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, not a lefty blogger.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 10 Sep 2006 at 08:24 PM.

I don't know. Seems to be a lot of people saying the guy has a hard on for the old tax code.

7. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post
    I don't know. Seems to be a lot of people saying the guy has a hard on for the old tax code.
    Why dont you read the book and decide for yourself?

8. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post
    Seriously not trying to be an ass, but why do you feel that this book will help me or anyone else be more knowledgeable?
    Reading makes you smarter just from the act of reading. The more you take in the better your spelling and grammar will be.

I just said those two books becuase they're good quick reads.

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    The more you take in the better your spelling and grammar will be.
    I don't know. I'd be willing to bet that I'm living proof that idea is wrong. I didn't get through 12 years of school and 2 years of college by reading smoke signals. And I do read the occasional book, and tons of crap online.

Just call it a hunch, but I think that people learn writing differently in much the same way that people learn math differently.

But I don’t really want to talk about this. I think we debated it like two years ago (god, tnl is the fucking simpsons.)

Why dont you read the book and decide for yourself?
    I just might.

I wonder if there is an ebook.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 10 Sep 2006 at 09:42 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Reading makes you smarter just from the act of reading. The more you take in the better your spelling and grammar will be.

I just said those two books becuase they're good quick reads.
    I've never seen bigger festering piles of trite and shit-writing than I have in those Paolini books. For God's sake, stop mentioning them.