Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm idiot. GIve me books to make me smarter

1. Well I like them.

2. ?

Seriously, though, I read a bunch of WW2 books that I found fascinating. On a nerd side, I read a code breakers book for a report and it was pretty damn cool. I like war history, so getting a few interesting biographies on some of the key figures was a nice read.

I don't know, go to the non-fiction section of any bookstore or library and just thumb through a few titles that catch your interest. It's not that difficult to find good books.

war books are good. I was reading one, like before last semester abaout the history of germany before WW2. It was pretty intersting because it covered a lot of stuff about how they got the mentality they had at the start of the war.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 10 Sep 2006 at 10:43 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Well I like them.
    Everyone likes the first shitty book they read. But if you liked Tony Toni Tone as a kid, you wouldn't fucking tell anyone about it or defend it.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

5. I ain't never lie.

I own guns germs and steel. It’s another one of those books I started, only to stop because I had something due. It's really interesting. One of the scary things about it, is that in a round about way says that Americans are actually one of the weakest societies of people ever because we are so advanced.

7. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post
    One of the scary things about it, is that in a round about way it says that Americans are actually one of the weakest societies of people ever because we are so advanced.
    I never thought about it that way. However, he was also saying America is one of the luckiest too.

Reading the dictionary is more fun than you'd think, especially nice big thick versions with footnotes about etymology and shit. You just have to be good at skimming because you know 90% of the content. There was a cool book I saw that was a collection of big(ger) and (more) obscure words which was an awesome idea, but there were no features, no word histories, and a lot of the content was shit you should learn in 10th grade english class.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post
    I never thought about it that way. However, he was also saying America is one of the luckiest too.
    true. It could have very easily went the other way. Had Europeans developed better living standards before going to the US, they might have not had the strong immune systems that they had at the time. We could all still live in our native countries and call the US the country of death, or hell or something.

It’s amzing the impact that some white people not knowing how to keep their ass clean had on the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    Reading the dictionary is more fun than you'd think, especially nice big thick versions with footnotes about etymology and shit. You just have to be good at skimming because you know 90% of the content. There was a cool book I saw that was a collection of big(ger) and (more) obscure words which was an awesome idea, but there were no features, no word histories, and a lot of the content was shit you should learn in 10th grade english class.
    wow now. Let me master those five letter words first.

10. I agree with Brisco's choices. Excellent books.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.