Page 310 of 319 FirstFirst ... 296306308309310311312314 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,100 of 3186

Thread: The "Abuse the YouTube Tags" Thread!

1. Good interview. It shows that Reagan had balls and played a good game of poker against communism. He wasn't going to let Russia (Soviet Union) continue to bully and take over Europe and the Middle East.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Yeah. The state took a God's Wrath stance and nobody had any reason to think otherwise. You're kinda making my point for me.
    It took someone famous getting HIV, for the public to start becoming more aware of its threat in the US. The 1st case of aids didn't arrive in the US until the early 80s'. https://www.livescience.com/16909-ma...niversary.html

His terms in office were about reducing government spending and reducing taxes for the middle class. Military spending though....
    Last edited by gamevet; 13 Jul 2019 at 09:24 PM.

The president could have made America aware of it, you impossibly dense motherfucker.

3. I think Reagan ushered in a truly new age for America. As similar to what we were chatting it up in TNL2, I can't deny that many of his actions and policies were indicative of the time period which they occurred. I would *hope,* desperately, that a president would not only reflect the period in which they govern, but with the future in mind. He did a great job with the former. Not the latter.

With that said, Reagan literally ruined America due to his lack of foresight, and the failure to act on the AIDS crisis was on the level of genocide. His bullshit peddling gave us such myths as the Welfare Queen, trickle-down economics, everything with Iran, etc. All have had detrimental effects on the America we see today and I'm positive he was suffering the symptoms of Alzheimer's in office, and many of his cabinet has said as much.

Perhaps the one kind thing I can relate, is that I once saw a documentary in which his wife was recalling a moment later along in his illness. She described a time when he picked up a toy model of the White House, turned it over in his palm, and said, "I know this is familiar, somehow. But I just don't know what it is." Alzheimer's is monstrous and no one should have to suffer with it. However, seeing this on TV, I felt a dread about America that I've never been able to shake.

He's a better, and more reasonable leader than Trump. I'll give him that. But his policies irreparably damaged this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

4. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The president could have made America aware of it, you impossibly dense motherfucker.
    How old were you in 1984 Josh? Do you have any idea how slow information leaked back in the 80's, when nobody had the internet?

I wasn't made aware of Aids until somewhere around 1985, when news started reporting about it and public schools started talking about it. That is when the federal government, as well as the media started to take notice. There's no need for your hostile bullshit!

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5021a2.htm

In 1985, the first federal resources dedicated to HIV prevention were made available to all state and local health departments nationwide. In 1987, a national effort to educate the public about HIV and AIDS was launched and CDC created a comprehensive AIDS information resource, the CDC National AIDS Hotline and National AIDS Information Clearinghouse. Comprehensive school-based HIV education to inform and educate young persons began in 1987, and funding for national, regional, and community-based organizations began in 1988.

The first research on effective behavior interventions to reduce transmission of HIV among sex partners and injection drug users began in the early 1980s. Behavior interventions, including school-based programs, peer-to-peer interventions, strategies that limit needle sharing, strategies that use parent-to-child communication, client-centered counseling, and personalized risk-reduction strategies, are effective in promoting healthy behaviors that are protective for HIV (8).

https://www.vox.com/2015/12/1/982834...eagan-hiv-aids

Here's the first exchange between Speakes and journalist Lester Kinsolving from 1982, when nearly 1,000 people had died from AIDS:

Lester Kinsolving: Does the president have any reaction to the announcement by the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta that AIDS is now an epidemic in over 600 cases?

Larry Speakes: AIDS? I haven't got anything on it.

Lester Kinsolving: Over a third of them have died. It's known as "gay plague." [Press pool laughter.] No, it is. It's a pretty serious thing. One in every three people that get this have died. And I wonder if the president was aware of this.

Larry Speakes: I don't have it. [Press pool laughter.] Do you?

Lester Kinsolving: You don't have it? Well, I'm relieved to hear that, Larry! [Press pool laughter.]

Larry Speakes: Do you?

Lester Kinsolving: No, I don't.

Larry Speakes: You didn't answer my question. How do you know? [Press pool laughter.]

Lester Kinsolving: Does the president — in other words, the White House — look on this as a great joke?

Larry Speakes: No, I don't know anything about it, Lester.

Later exchanges include more joking and apathy about AIDS, including from members of the press, even after more was known about the seriousness of the epidemic. Here is audio from 1984, when more than 4,200 had died:

Larry Speakes: Lester is beginning to circle now. He's moving up front. Go ahead.

Lester Kinsolving: Since the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta report is going to… [Press pool laughter.]

Larry Speakes: This is going to be an AIDS question.

Lester Kinsolving: …that an estimated…

Larry Speakes: You were close.

Lester Kinsolving: Can I ask the question, Larry? That an estimated 300,000 people have been exposed to AIDS, which can be transmitted through saliva. [This is false; HIV can only be transmitted through blood, semen, pre-cum, rectal fluids, vaginal fluids, and breast milk.] Will the president, as commander in chief, take steps to protect armed forces, food, and medical services from AIDS patients or those who run the risk of spreading AIDS in the same manner that they bed typhoid fever people from being involved in the health or food services? [Through this question, laughter can be heard coming from the press pool.]

Larry Speakes: I don't know.

Lester Kinsolving: Is the president concerned about this subject, Larry?

Larry Speakes: I haven't heard him express concern.

Lester Kinsolving: That seems to have evoked such jocular reaction here. [Press pool laughter.]

Unidentified person: It isn't only the jocks, Lester.

Unidentified person: Has he sworn off water faucets now?

Lester Kinsolving: No, but I mean, is he going to do anything, Larry?

Larry Speakes: Lester, I have not heard him express anything. Sorry.

Lester Kinsolving: You mean he has expressed no opinion about this epidemic?

Larry Speakes: No, but I must confess I haven't asked him about it.

Lester Kinsolving: Will you ask him, Larry?

Larry Speakes: Have you been checked? [Press pool laughter.]

Unidentified person: Is the president going to ban mouth-to-mouth kissing?

Lester Kinsolving: What? Pardon? I didn't hear your answer.

Larry Speakes: [Laughs.] Ah, it's hard work. I don't get paid enough. Um. Is there anything else we need to do here?

The exchanges are hugely revealing. For one, they show just how little was known about the disease when the epidemic first broke — people thought it was exclusive to gay people, and thought that it could be transmitted through saliva, even though HIV can only be transmitted through blood, semen, pre-cum, rectal fluids, vaginal fluids, and breast milk.

The exchanges also demonstrated that Reagan and his administration didn't take the epidemic very seriously, for which the Reagan administration is still heavily criticized. His successors eventually acted, albeit often very slowly, on the crisis — leading to much more research, programs like the Ryan White CARE Act that connect people to care, and the development of antiretroviral medication that increases the life expectancy of a person living with HIV by decades.
    Yeah, Reagan's administration should have acted sooner, but as you can see in this interview, the media (who should have a better grasp on what is going on) were laughing along, as if they didn't have a clue how serious the problem really was.

Maybe the president should have let people know how serious it was.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Maybe the president should have let people know how serious it was.
    Watch this video. The doctors were calling it a form of cancer, which the federal government was already funding research for. You may be reading revisionist history on it, but nobody knew exactly what AIDS was at the time.

And let me set the record straight. I had a customer in the early 90s' that was a network administrator for a gay newspaper publication outlet in the Oak Lawn area of Dallas. He was a clean shaven man for the 1st couple of years that we did work for him. I'd later noticed that he had grown a beard, to cover the lesions on his lower face, because he had contracted AIDS. I was quite saddened when I'd heard that he had passed away from the disease/virus. He was a good man.
    Last edited by gamevet; 14 Jul 2019 at 12:17 AM.

Are you in some way saying that AIDS research wasn't underfunded during Reagan's presidency?

And what record are you setting straight by saying that you once had a gay customer?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Are you in some way saying that AIDS research wasn't underfunded during Reagan's presidency?
    I'm saying that doctors during the early years were calling it a form of cancer and that the administration wasn't getting 100% of the information to make it a high priority. Hindsight is 20/20, and in this case, neither the media, or the president's office had a clue about the AIDS epidemic, and it appears that the Bush administration had limited information as well.

And what record are you setting straight by saying that you once had a gay customer?
    No, I was assuming that you think that I'm some insensitive asshole, because I had said that it was once thought of as an isolated problem within the male homosexual community.

Ike Turner couldn't have hated women. He did marry one, you know.

10. Yeah, it’s not the media’s job to enact policy to save human lives. They, nor anyone else should have been laughing about it. But we used to like holding the president to a better standard, and he and his administration were responsible for the deaths of thousands. For the media and the general public to laugh along is sickening enough.

This is a well known failure of the administration of the time, it’s well documented that FDA approval of HIV meds was delayed due to gov intervention. Additionally, Reagan’s deregulation nonsense in the health sector led to skyrocketing prices of necessary medications. Eroding health coverage to the sick and elderly also caused the deaths of many. Many died who simply could not afford treatment. We can blame the media or the public, but they did not control the FDA, health regulations, or the surgeon general.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread