Thread: 2006 Blizzard Art Contest Entry

1. 2006 Blizzard Art Contest Entry

Here’s my entry to Blizzard’s big contest for 2006. I am of course trying to win the Diablo category grand prize, but in the event I don’t, I’m hoping I at least nail the Diablo: 2D Character Art sub-category. After reading the rules and specifications, I decided to do a character collage of sorts, involving every playable class from Diablo II and the LoD expansion (and one dead monster, my favorite, the Unraveler).

I did it in 4 crazy days, right up until the deadline (which then they of course extended). I had just moved to a new city and didn't get the headstart I wanted, so I'll admit there's a whole slew of things that bother me about this (or that I just flat-out forgot to do). I'm sure someone else did some really nice painting or something of a character, but maybe that I worked a whole bunch into a composition will give me the edge.

I typically use the "cut and gradient" technique to color things, but this time I used all brushes to give it a more painterly look. Well, I used cut&grad on the ice...but now I sorta wish I had one it like I normally do as it doesn't look much more painterly to me and it was a lot more work, heh.

2. It looks great to me.

Pity I know nothing about Blizzard games...

3. Incredible as always.

The face of the chick in purple with the giant exposed tits kind of bothers me. I'm not sure if it's perspective or that it looks like a different style than everything else, but that's the one place that I found something a bit off.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

4. How long did that take? Damn impressive.

5. Quote Originally Posted by omfgninjas View Post
    The face of the chick in purple with the giant exposed tits kind of bothers me. I'm not sure if it's perspective or that it looks like a different style than everything else, but that's the one place that I found something a bit off.
    Yeah, I've noticed that too. When I'm up close working on it though her face looks fine, but zoomed out her eyes look a little pinched or something. Something I was going to try and adjust with photoshop once things were done, but then the deadline hit. Actually, I think her face may be too long among other things, or the nose placement is off.

Nick: Around 40 hours, over 4-5 days.

6. You had better win something huge/get a job from them soon. Your stuff is consistently amazing.

7. Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox View Post
    Yeah, I've noticed that too. When I'm up close working on it though her face looks fine, but zoomed out her eyes look a little pinched or something. Something I was going to try and adjust with photoshop once things were done, but then the deadline hit. Actually, I think her face may be too long among other things, or the nose placement is off.

Nick: Around 40 hours, over 4-5 days.
    Her left eye (right when looking at the picture) is out of perspective. If you cover that up it looks fine. Yea her face may be too long too, but you can call that a style if you want.

8. It genereally looks a lot rougher around the edges than your other work, probably due to the "painterly" coloring.

It really is an incredible composition, but having seen your other work it's pretty obvious to me that it was rushed.

9. I fucking love the druid

10. wow! that is incredible art! nice job!