Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Synapse Software

Synapse Software

Here's another thread on an old developer/publisher that has faded into obscurity. If you had an 8-bit computer back in the early-mid '80s then chances are you played some Synapse Software(AKA Synsoft) games. They made some great ones in their day.

Ihor Wolosenko and Ken Grant founded the company in 1980. They soon hired others to develop games.

Protector
    Author: Mike Potter
    Year: 1981
    Formats: Atari 8-bit

Most likely inspired by Defender this shooter had you rescuing people and navigating through passageways.

Chicken
    Year: 1982

This was a "catch the falling item" game like Avalanche and Kaboom!.

Fort Apocalypse(1982)
    Author: Steve Hales
    Formats: Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64

It looked similar to Broderbund's Choplifter released the same year but this game is about shooting through various caverns.

Slime

Nautilus

Shadow World

Another quality shooter by Potter.

Picnic Paranoia
    Author: Russ Segal
    Year: 1982/1983
    Formats: Atari 8-bit, TI99/4A(port by Atarisoft), Apple II(not sure if this came out)

Swat the bugs.

Claim Jumper
    Author: Gray Chang

Necromancer
    Author: Bill Williams

This one's kind of hard to explain. The first level had you shooting enemies while magically planting trees. The next level shifted to a side view and you casted a walking spell on trees to move them cracks where roots will grow and the trees will crush the spider eggs. It's cool once you learn how to play.

Protector II
    Formats: Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64, TRS-80

Shamus
    Author: William Mataga
    Formats: Atari 8-bit, Vic 20, Commodore 64, TI99/4A(published by Atarisoft), PC(published by IBM), TRS-80(published by Tandy)

My guess is that is was Synapse's best selling game. Shamus was originally being developed as a clone of Berzerk but it ended up as its own game. I'm disappointed my C64 cassette of it doesn't work anymore.

Shamus was remade in 1999 for Game Boy Color by Cathryn Mataga(that's William Mataga after a sex change) at Junglevision.

Pharaoh's Curse
    Author: Steve Coleman
    Year: 1983

I was playing this again recently and I'm surprised it has aged so well. It was a platform/adventure where you had to find all the pieces of treasure. Once you beat it, it gave you a password for a harder mode. The structure was like a simpler version of what would later be referred to as [b]Metroid[b]-style design, i.e. it's non-linear and has interconnected areas.

Encounter
    Author: Novagen Software/Paul Woakes
    Formats: Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64, later remade for Amiga as Amiga Encounter

Survivor
    Author: Richard Carr

Rainbow Walker
    Author: Steve Coleman

This was kind of like Q*bert in that you hopped onto to different squares to change their colours.

Alley Cat
    Author: Bill Williams
    Formats: Atari 8-bit, PC(published by IBM)

This was an action game where you played as a cat. The levels were quite varied. For example, one involves catching mice on a clothesline, another has you stealing milk from dogs. The simple fast paced gameplay has held up pretty well.

Blue Max
    Author: Bob Polin
    Year: 1983/1984
    Formats: Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64, Spectrum(by U.S. Gold)

I read this shooter was banned in Germany. I thought it was neat when I first got my C64 but I accidentally erased the game soon afterwards since I was new to the system and messing around.

Blue Max 2001
    Author: Bob Polin
    Year: 1984

Countdown
    Author: Ken Rose

Shamus: Case II
    Formats: Commodore 64

This was quite a bit different from the original as it has side-scrolling and Breakout-ish shooter parts.

Electrician
    Author: David Bunch

In this game you needed to connect wires to various sockets while avoiding creatures. I liked how the power would turn on in each room. I recommend it to fans of old platform games.

Air Support
    Author: Richard Carr

Doughboy
    Author:

Drelbs
    Author: Kelly Jones

I didn't play this one until last year but I still liked it a lot. It was sort of an action/puzzle game where you flipped the lines to create rectangles while keeping away from enemies.

Quasimodo
    Author: John Atak

I thought this platform/action game was quite good. I loved chucking rocks at the guys on the ladders.

Slamball
    Author:

It's a little basic today but the physics were impressive for a video pinball game.

Zeppelin

A multi-scrolling shooter.

The Warriors of Zypar
    Author: Joe Vierra

I haven't played this one yet but I like the look of it.

N.Y.C. The Big Apple/New York City
    Author: Russ Segal

Sentinel
    Author:

Dimension X

Smooth and super quick 3d shooter.

Zaxxon
    Author: Peter Adams

This was a great port of the Sega arcade game.

In 1984 the company was sold to Broderbund and shifted its focus to text adventures. Mindwheel, Brimstone, Essex and Breakers were all released under the "Electronic Novel" label. The games weren't very successful and Broderbund shut down Synapse in 1986.

What are your thoughts on Synapse Software/Synsoft? If you haven't played any of their games I would say check out Pharaoh's Curse and Shamus first.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 22 Sep 2006 at 12:06 AM.

2. Synapse was a great company. Shamus had great music and style; it was much more than a simple Berzerk clone. Necromancer is one of the most clever games to come out of the Atari 8-bit/C64 era. Those walking trees were creepy as hell. And Claim Jumper was pretty cool, too, even though I can't remember how to play it.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

3. i had blue max for the c64... and i remember playing alley cat on a BBS in the early 90s.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeveboy View Post
    And Claim Jumper was pretty cool, too, even though I can't remember how to play it.
    Is this game two-player only? I briefly played it on emulator a while back but I don't remember there being an option to play against the computer. It seemed potentially good.

5. I have Quasimodo and Blue Max on my C-64. Both titles were excellent for thier time.

6. thnx for the writeup. I'm gonna check out their last 4 text adventures.

I don't remember their text adventures being as good as Infocom stuff but I should give them another try since I barely remember them. I haven't played Breakers yet. It's supposed to play in real-time although I'm not sure what they mean by that.

8. ouch, found some retro reviews, apparently they stink. Count me out.

9. Kemco published a Famicom version of Doughboy which IINM was released in Japan only.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dough Boy - Ingame.gif 
Views:	136 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	20668  

10. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Shamus was remade in 1999 for Game Boy Color by Cathryn Mataga(that's William Mataga after a sex change) at Junglevision.
    It kinda bothers me every time I hear about another person who programmed fairly popular games in the 80s and wound up getting a sex change. It seems like there's at least a few of them.

Junglevision's website is a fun time, though. They're looking for talent to help out on their "Game Boy DS & Advanced" proejcts.