Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: ...and then they bid adieu (Nintendo to exit from hardware business)

1. ...and then they bid adieu (Nintendo to exit from hardware business)
    Well, that's sure a sensationalizing way to put it... But I guess that's what happens when you run a news website.

I personally think it's good news. I'm sick of hearing about "the next thing" hardware-wise. I'd love for consoles to revert to 7-8 year lifespans. Whether it will help or hurt Nintendo remains to be seen, because some just can't stand having "inferior" hardware and some are just plain idiots (as evidenced be a few posts in this topic already: "Nintendo is giving up!!").

They can sugarcoat it however they want, but it's already damn obvious they want to come out on top.

If anything, this decision is Nintendo's attempt to strive for second place. Think about it, does Nintendo have a snowball's chance in hell of coming out on top in this war? No way. Iwata knows for the fact there's no way the GC can be "the system," not with the PS2 user base, but they can at least use better prices and Nintendo quality (there's always someone who wants to play Nintendo games) as well as supporting only one system for 6 years or so to be "the other system" instead of "the lesser system." I guess its like the N64 in that "other system" sense, except that wasn't intentional, this obviously is.

3. Originally posted by Rick

If anything, this decision is Nintendo's attempt to strive for second place. Think about it, does Nintendo have a snowball's chance in hell of coming out on top in this war? No way. Iwata knows for the fact there's no way the GC can be "the system," not with the PS2 user base, but they can at least use better prices and Nintendo quality (there's always someone who wants to play Nintendo games) as well as supporting only one system for 6 years or so to be "the other system" instead of "the lesser system." I guess its like the N64 in that "other system" sense, except that wasn't intentional, this obviously is.
    Then why not stick with the GBA instead? Nintendo already owns the portable market.

If GC has no chance in hell of being "the system", then why even bother developing it in the first place? They could've put all that money into making the GBA a bigger powerhouse and delivering something truly groundbreaking.

4. Originally posted by Freeter

Then why not stick with the GBA instead? Nintendo already owns the portable market.

If GC has no chance in hell of being "the system", then why even bother developing it in the first place? They could've put all that money into making the GBA a bigger powerhouse and delivering something truly groundbreaking.

Why? Because games like Super Smash Brothers Melee sell thru the roof. They sold over a million copies of the game in Japan alone.

5. Originally posted by Freeter
    If GC has no chance in hell of being "the system", then why even bother developing it in the first place?
    Because it doesn't have to be "the system" to make money. Thank god.

They could've put all that money into making the GBA a bigger powerhouse and delivering something truly groundbreaking.
    How much bigger could it possibly get? The groundbreaking is its GC connectivity.

6. Originally posted by gamevet

Why? Because games like Super Smash Brothers Melee sell thru the roof. They sold over a million copies of the game in Japan alone.
    If their games are already selling huge numbers, then why have any fear of not coming in second? GC's userbase is already bigger than XBOX's.

If they were really confident in their product(thus proving they aren't in competition with either Sony or MS as so many ppl keep stating) they would've stood their ground at $200 and waited to see how things would pan out.

7. Originally posted by Freeter
    then why have any fear of not coming in second?
    when did this happen? care to provide some links?

8. Originally posted by Rob
    Well, that's sure a sensationalizing way to put it... But I guess that's what happens when you run a news website.

I personally think it's good news. I'm sick of hearing about "the next thing" hardware-wise. I'd love for consoles to revert to 7-8 year lifespans. Whether it will help or hurt Nintendo remains to be seen, because some just can't stand having "inferior" hardware and some are just plain idiots (as evidenced be a few posts in this topic already: "Nintendo is giving up!!").
    I am sorry - I hope you didn't think I was treating it as they were giving up...it's just an attractive header for ppl to go "what's that?" and read.

9. Originally posted by Freeter

Not competing with them...uh huh. And I suppose they dropped GC's price to $150 because they felt like it.
    actually probably yes

you saw the price drop in GBA when they had NO competition soley because they could make it cheaper so they had the consumer save some money too
    in less then a year from its release date the GBA (with no competition) is selling for almost half of what it came out at

10. Originally posted by Lucas Barton

when did this happen? care to provide some links?
    Go read Rick's post.