Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2456

Thread: ...and then they bid adieu (Nintendo to exit from hardware business)

1. Originally posted by bahn

I am sorry
    No need.

2. Originally posted by Johnpv

actually probably yes

you saw the price drop in GBA when they had NO competition soley because they could make it cheaper so they had the consumer save some money too
    in less then a year from its release date the GBA (with no competition) is selling for almost half of what it came out at
    They probably did that because they were worried about the userbase. After all, look at all the incarnations of GB sold already: regular, Play it Loud series, GB Pocket, and GB Color(which was still going at the time of GBA's release).

They probably feared people who already had GB Color and/or the other GBs wouldn't go for the new system, so Nintendo acted with an immediate price drop in order to make the GBA more lucrative.

3. Taking this article into consideration, and the fact I think Rare is definitelt going 3rd party, I think GC will be the last console from Nintendo. It's just my opinion, but I think when GC games stop being profitable in 8 years or so, they will stick to software, and portable hardware. Just my opinion as I said. Personally, I enjoy the excitment surrounding a console launch, so I'd love to be wrong.

4. Originally posted by Freeter

They probably did that because they were worried about the userbase. After all, look at all the incarnations of GB sold already: regular, Play it Loud series, GB Pocket, and GB Color(which was still going at the time of GBA's release).

They probably feared people who already had GB Color and/or the other GBs wouldn't go for the new system, so Nintendo acted with an immediate price drop in order to make the GBA more lucrative.

what are you tlaking about the GBA sold over 500,000 units at launch and was selling like hotcakes since it came out they didnt have to lower the price to help sales at all they lowered the price to benefit consumers

5. I think this article could mean 2 different things.

1. it means nothing. people who don't know what they are talking about are reading into things too much. Nintendo has always focused on software.
    2. The Gamecube will have much in common with the Neo Geo.

In all honesty, Nintendo can do whatever they want in terms of hardware because the software sells it. If they released mario 4 on the NES, it would still sell very well. Even with a miniscule userbase, Smash bros melee still sold over a million in japan because gamecube owners bought the cube for nintendo games. the same thing will happpen with mario sunshine. If the cube is still around 7 years from now, i gurantee people will still buy whatever nintendo releases for it. Afterall, Nintendo released some super famicom games only a few years ago.

6. Originally posted by EThugg
    Taking this article into consideration, and the fact I think Rare is definitelt going 3rd party, I think GC will be the last console from Nintendo. It's just my opinion, but I think when GC games stop being profitable in 8 years or so, they will stick to software, and portable hardware. Just my opinion as I said. Personally, I enjoy the excitment surrounding a console launch, so I'd love to be wrong.

Nintendo could also use this tactic to entice gamers into buying the Gamecube. Those Nintendo fans, who have been putting the GC in a wait and see mode, might just take the plunge, with the confidence that the GC will have strong support from Nintendo, and won't be the next Virtual Boy. Also, diehard Nintendo fans, will want to buy the last suppoesed Nintendo console, thus increasing the user base, to a more competetive number. Nintendo is just trying to get a reaction from gamers, to help bolster it's sales.

7. ...or maybe everyone, thier mother and the guys at Gamespot have taken this whole thing out of context? Maybe this is just Nintendo being Nintendo and talking about wanting to make games?

Anyway, I'm not so sure companies like say Edios, Acclaim, Midway, Infograms, Interplay, Activision or heck even EA would like Nintendo going third party.

Originally posted by Kinopio
    2. The Gamecube will have much in common with the Neo Geo.
    That's just a tad of a stretch. They have completely different libraries, are aimed at completely different demographics, and were released almost a dozen years apart. When the GameCube gets a new retail title (not home brew) in 2013, call me. Then we'll make that comparison.

9. Originally posted by gamevet
    I think that Nintendo plans to make the GC, the next Gameboy of consoles. Instead of a whole new console, they have a RAM expansion pack, and keep game developement costs at a profitable point. Work the GC hardware for 7 or so years, than when the cost's are reasonable, make the next GC advanced.
    That's the impression I received from this article. If any company has the ability to extend a console's life beyond the point when its technological capabilities are deemed to be outdated -while still profiting - it's Nintendo. IMO, their business strategy is sound and will provide benefits to both the enthusiast and the casual gamer. Enthusiats do not benefit from the premature demise of a console (see DC). For casual gamers, longeveity isn't just convenient, it promotes brand equity. If Nintendo can maintain the GC's lifespan to 6-7 years, that longeveity signifies Nintendo's commitment to the GC and in providing the consumer with the best it can without having to gouge another $200 in the process. The GC - even if it becomes technologically inferior to future consoles - still will have enough power to provide aesthetically appealing games. Combine this with their myriad of franchises and talent pool, and I have little doubt Nintendo will succeed.