Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Illegal Immigration and the Numbers

1. Illegal Immigration and the Numbers

Dont be a robot, be human.
    PSN: Di3heart

2. I watched the whole thing. What's illegal immigration got to do with anything?

Also, the word "Simple" was in the video's title. Very, very, very simple. Too simple to be taken seriously, in fact. Issues like population control and birth rates in poor, uneducated families vs richer, higher education ones were totally ignored.

I agree 100% that life in third world countries needs to suck significantly less, so they stop seeing the US as the be-all end-all goal. Any ideas on his part on how this would be accomplished went totally unsaid. Also uncommented on is how many of the million legal immigrants taken in annually are people we'd want around, because they bring useful skills to our country that we need.

He concludes with saying we need the immigration numbers of 1965. It would have been nice if he'd told us what they were, seeing as they're so central to his argument.

James

3. He also failed to mention the growth in the US economy since the 70's and immigrant's role in that. Instead he relies on debunking a bunch of arguments that I think even pro-immigration people would call ridiculous. Absorbing Latin America's excess populace? Seriously?

Illegal immigration is a sad, sorry topic because its so distorted. So many hornblowers like to trot out tired, easily rebuttable arguments (many of which are rooted in racism) but when you say something enough it becomes fact, right? Rational debate based on the full, wide-open truth of the story is as impossible as it is about abortion. It's just tragic.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 25 Sep 2006 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    (many of which are rooted in racism)
    you sound like a liberal hippy fag every time you use that word within this topic.

You know damn well that a lot of people's negative feelings about this have little to do with racism and more to do with elitist cultural feelings and a lazy resistance to change.

Very few people genuinely hate Mexicans because of the way they look or their genetics. I’m sure there are a few, but they are a minority.

really, quit throwing that word around so easily. It makes about as much sense as calling everyone who doesn't like to suck dick a homophobe.

5. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post
    you sound like a liberal hippy fag every time you use that word within this topic.

You know damn well that a lot of people's negative feelings about this have little to do with racism and more to do with elitist cultural feelings and a lazy resistance to change.

Very few people genuinely hate Mexicans because of the way they look or their genetics. I’m sure there are a few, but they are a minority.

really, quit throwing that word around so easily. It makes about as much sense as calling everyone who doesn't like to suck dick a homophobe.
    Fuck off. If you actually listen to a lot of what the hardcore anti-immigration types say they will tell you about the Mexicans stealing American jobs, using their schools, draining their hospitals, and oh yea, smuggling in a few Arabs (read: terrorists) with 'em. They also talk about how great and amazing our (white) culture is and how we cannot let the Hispanics contaminate that with their rice and beans and salsa and whatever else is. What about all this is not racist?

Wise up. Playing on these fears and sentiments is as much American as apple pie. It's been done for hundreds of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Fuck off. If you actually listen to a lot of what the hardcore anti-immigration types say they will tell you about the Mexicans stealing American jobs, using their schools, draining their hospitals, and oh yea, smuggling in a few Arabs (read: terrorists) with 'em. They also talk about how great and amazing our (white) culture is and how we cannot let the Hispanics contaminate that with their rice and beans and salsa and whatever else is. What about all this is not racist?
    oh come on, you're smarter than this. You know that is only a stupid vocal minority. You can claim that those guys represent the majority of opinions in that camp about as much as you can say everyone that apposes abortion is clinic bombers or people that want pot to be legalized are hardcore addicts.

The majority of one camp is normally very mild compared to very vocal and destructive minority.

Get your ass off the internet, and your face out of books and go out anad talk to some real people about how they feel about this. You'll probably find that many are more sensable than those other jackasses.

7. I think it's hilarious that Congress is going to build a big fucking fence.

From now on I look at politics as comedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

8. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post
    You know that is only a stupid vocal minority.
    They're the ones shaping the debate, though. Including the debates in Congress.

9. Quote Originally Posted by burgundy View Post
    I think it's hilarious that Congress is going to build a big fucking fence.

From now on I look at politics as comedy.
    I think it's hilarious that anyone believes a real fence is going to be built and that all the money for it won't go into Halliburton's coffers while our borders are lined with chickenwire.

Only in this Kafka-esque 'up is down' political climate we live in now would the same Republicans who came in during the 80s and mid-90s promising to 'lower government' railroad federal funds for building the Great Wall of China along our southern expanse.
    Time for a change

lol, Kafka-esque