Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series

George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series

I just finished reading A Feast for Crows and am greatly sad now that I have to wait for the next volume.

Fantasy is genre that I generally dislike (with a few exceptions) because it's usually, well, garbage, and but holy shit these books are great. Well-written, great plot, great characters, everything. My only minor complaint is the overuse of certain descriptive adjectives in the first book.

I know a few TNLers are fans, and I know there are a lot more of you that this series would be right up your alley. The books so far are : A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings,A Storm of Swords, and A Feast For Crows

If you are still on the fence about reading them, consider some of the shit going on in just the first 50 or so pages: Some dudes get killed by ice zombies, a head gets cut off, a dude gets caught fucking his sister, some kids get giant wolf puppies, and a midget on a horse.

Discuss.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

2. I just started reading these myself. I like how the series is the direct opposite of most fantasy books where the protaganists ALWAYS get through horrible shit unscathed. Major characters die, or progress beyond the usual iconic status quo. What I don't like is how each chapter is a different character's point of view. There are so many, and they all are so damn good that I don't want each ones particular POV to end just yet. That just goes to show how well written it is.
    I'm halfway through Storm of Swords right now and looking forward to Feast of Crows, but I've read many places that it may be the weakest of the series.
    So far my fav characters are Arya and Tyrion.

3. Great series. I heard him read the first chapter for Jon in A Dance with Dragons at the SD comic-con. He said he should be done writing that book at the very start of 2007.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

4. I usually hate fantasy too, but this series always hooks me. The Hound needs to come back tho >:
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by JesusC View Post
    I'm halfway through Storm of Swords right now and looking forward to Feast of Crows, but I've read many places that it may be the weakest of the series.
    I've heard that a lot too, but I simply don't think it's the case at all. I found it to be one of the better of the four.

I think the reason people don't like it as much is because there really aren't any big battles and the body count is a lot lower than what's been standard for the series so far. The fight scenes that are there, though, are some of the most exciting and well written up to this point.

The other reason is that the book only features about half of the major characters that are left, leaving the others to the next book. This didn't bother me, but I can see where it could irk a few.

I guess I can give this a try. I want to read something and I hate fantasy.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

7. I read the first few chapters a long time ago (up to where the couple having sex tosses the little boy out the window to avoid witnesses) but for whatever reason it just didn't grab me. One of these days I'll go back and try again, it was probably just the effect of sifting through introduction before the story could get started.

8. I love this series.... I can't wait for the next volume, A Dance with Dragons. Meanwhile, I am catching up on GRRM's older works and so far, I am not disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I'm about halfway through the first book.

It's phenominal.
    QFT. And you haven't even seen shit yet!