Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 356789 LastLast

Thread: George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series

1. A Dance With Dragons isn't bad, it just doesn't seem to advance the story much (and some characters, like Sansa, are totally ignored). It definitely makes me wonder how George intends to resolve everything in only two books.

I mean hell, Daenerys still hasn't even made it to Westeros.

2. He clearly lost his steam after the first three books.

Yeah.

I'm not partial to giant series spanning 30 books, but horrible horrible fantasy goes hand in hand with that shit.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

4. He writes too goddamn slowly for any Wheel of Time shenanigans.

5. So did Robert Jordan.

James

6. I'm finally reading Dance With Dragons. Tyrion's annoying internal monologue continues, obviously, but I guess I'm interested in this whole thing with Young Griff. Baby swaps everywhere, if he's really Aegon. Otherwise I've been skimming through all of the others except Davos. It's funny, I actually want Stannis to be King now. Plus, there's something going on with Manderly that I can't put my finger on yet. I guess we'll see if that changes as time goes along. (Since I'm sure there *IS* something going on with Manderly, go ahead and have a good chuckle and I'll join you once I figure it out or read the thinly veiled information about it down the line.)

ANYWAY. Since I'm skimming the shitty characters, does anyone know if there are any ones I should make sure to read more carefully? Like, "Don't miss Dany IV" or "Asha II is super important!"

EDIT: I don't believe in God but I pray to him none of the Dany chapters are of any importance, just like all the others.

7. they aren't
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

8. That is very good to read. I was talking about R+L=J with a buddy who was tired of the cliffhangers in the show so he'd spoiled things for himself on Wikipedia. He told me about the last Jon chapter so I flipped through and read that part already. Good to know I don't need to care about any of them.

Is there anything close to an official WoW release date yet? I'd like to get back to Sansa.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    That is very good to read. I was talking about R+L=J with a buddy who was tired of the cliffhangers in the show so he'd spoiled things for himself on Wikipedia. He told me about the last Jon chapter so I flipped through and read that part already. Good to know I don't need to care about any of them.

Is there anything close to an official WoW release date yet? I'd like to get back to Sansa.
    I have no idea when the next book is coming out... I'm tired of caring.

Sansa is pretty much the only PoV not in that book. I felt like it was a small blessing. Whenever I see a Sansa, Cersi, or in that last book, a Dany chapter... I zone out in anticipation for the most boring fantasy ever.

Melisandre will bring Jon back... Stannis is close.

Dany in the fifth book does nothing the entire time, it's a giant boring stall-fest. Stuff happens in her last two chapters if I remember correctly... It's really useless.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

10. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    Sansa is pretty much the only PoV not in that book. I felt like it was a small blessing. Whenever I see a Sansa, Cersi, or in that last book, a Dany chapter... I zone out in anticipation for the most boring fantasy ever.
    With Sansa comes Littlefinger. I don't care so much about her but since we'll never have a Petyr POV she's the closest we have to his inner thoughts and dealings. His motives are pretty clear to me - I picked it up in book 1 and have been able to telegraph his moves, I just can't wait for some of it to start happening.

Melisandre will bring Jon back... Stannis is close.
    Yuck, I hope not. I hope it's just shock or something. Or Bowen's got some Hot Fuzz stuff up his sleeve. UnJon would be lame.