Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

How the hell does this forum not have a thread about this series?

The series is about some wackjob of a high-school student named Haruhi who some people regard as a God and a group of supernatural beings keeping an eye on her, while the whole lot go through many zany scenarios. Or it is a series about a group of high school students riddled with various mental disorders going through a bunch of zany scenarios. It's one of those high school drama science fiction comedy type series, but the execution is nails and the main character is absolutely batshit insane.

I do not watch much anime nowadays, but I can wholeheartly recemmond this to anyone who even is remotely a f-chan. I am not the only one either; this was offically named the least shitty anime of Otakon 2006.

You nits waiting on an offical English release may be waiting a bit (but only a bit); no one has offically picked up the anime yet but they have gotten several offers, as reported by Anime News Network (scroll down ~75% of the article) and expect to ship the anime sometime next year.
    Last edited by Dipstick; 15 Aug 2006 at 07:09 PM. Reason: sofa king wee todd ed

2. Zany scenarios... Hmph. A friend of mine keeps talking about how cool it is though. I think Black Jack 21 would be pretty far up on the not shitty list, even if it continued from a 2004 series which is based on a 1970's series.
    Donk

High school science fiction with zany scenarios sounds shitty to me.

4. It's not shitty until I see it.
    However, a Japanese person acknowledging art that's not Japanese is a good start for me.

5. Pani Poni referenced Planet of the Apes in the beginning. There's no greater art than that movie. Unfortuanately, that was the best thing the series managed to do and it quickly went to pure. unfiltered. but very pretty to look at. GARBAGE. It was also high school zaniness. Yuck.
    I think every other anime references that Scream painting at one point or another.
    Donk

6. You people suck. It really is good. Honest. Even the most jaded fans I know (who are even more cynical than myself and the rest of TNL (aiya!)) though this show was watching.

Whatever you do, do not pass on the show after watching the first episode. It is out of place with everything else, and the rest of the show is little like it. Watch the second show, at least (and if you do not like it then, at least it will not change on you much).

I'm probably making this show sound worse, not better. Ugh. All I can say is that I would not typically watch a 'High school science fiction with zany scenarios' type show, but I watched all of this.

7. I will give this a chance.
    Last edited by Klonoa; 12 Aug 2006 at 01:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

8. oh yeah. my bad

The anime does look interesting and right now, I'm in that rare anime-watching mode.

I'm gonna give this and Cromartie High School a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

9. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    It's not shitty until I see it.
    It's true. You make all anime you touch shitty.

~ j/k ~