Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 21214151617182030 ... LastLast

Thread: LA Noire

1. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Oh, come on. I'm not prophesizing (that spelling doesn't look right) doom like Diff, but this isn't some point and click game where the gameplay doesn't really matter.
    How is it particularly different from that, other than the existence of some shooting and driving sequences in between? Do you think you should be racking up "clue combos" or some shit? It's a detective game.

Which isn't a lack of gameplay, but it's a lack of action gameplay, which people often confuse as the same thing.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 16 May 2011 at 10:25 AM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Holy shit, Child of Eden is next fucking week?

EDIT: No it's not, you liar.

Fucking balls, 3 sites said next week. I blame one of them getting the source wrong and then the other two using the first site. DREAMS AM CRUSHED

6/14 though, less than a month.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    How is it particularly different from that, other than the existence of some shooting and driving sequences in between? Do you think you should be racking up "clue combos" or some shit? It's a detective game.

Which isn't a lack of gameplay, but it's a lack of action gameplay, which people often confuse as the same thing.
    Who are these "people" you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post

If the driving sequences are bad, it would tarnish the whole game for me personally. One of my favorite parts of Rockstar games is the vehicle/mount component. Similarly, horrific shooting mechanics would likely ruin the game for others. Those are critical parts of the total package here.

5. Wasn't that the main problem with Mafia 2 though? If the driving is at all true-to-life, in those cars, it is going to suck by default.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    If the driving sequences are bad, it would tarnish the whole game for me personally. One of my favorite parts of Rockstar games is the vehicle/mount component. Similarly, horrific shooting mechanics would likely ruin the game for others. Those are critical parts of the total package here.
    One thing that the reviews and previews I've read have been resoundingly unanimous on is the fact that this is not a "Rockstar-style" game, and that driving and shooting is a relatively small part of the experience. It is NOT a sandbox action-adventure game like GTA or Red Dead. It's a detective game, probably closer to Phoenix Wright in a lot of ways than GTA.

Granted, if the action sequences are poor, it's going to be aggravating, but no one has said anything to this effect. If they are merely not the highlight of the game and exist to break up the adventure sequences, I don't see that being an issue in the way it would be for a GTA-style game where these aspects are the meat and potatoes of the game. They're clearly not.

Both your reference to "Rockstar games" and Diff's to Red Dead suggest to me you might be misunderstanding what kind of game this is, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Wasn't that the main problem with Mafia 2 though? If the driving is at all true-to-life, in those cars, it is going to suck by default.
    Yeah, it's not really like Mafia II either.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 16 May 2011 at 11:22 AM.

I enjoyed the hell out of Mafia II and didn't have any issue with the driving. I guess I took the era into account in my expectations or something.

We'll know about L.A. Noire in 24 hours or less.

8. I'm starting to think a lot of people are going to be really disappointed (or maybe pleasantly surprised?) that this isn't Grand Theft Maltese Falcon.

Why? You're putting words in people's mouths.

10. I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth. But clearly Rockstar has had trouble communicating what this game is like in genre terms for the entirety of its development, and now I see nothing but people bringing up sandbox games. I think that might spell a bit of an identity crisis for this game.

We've seen this before. Shenmue was a perfect example of a game no one knew what to expect from and Sega didn't really know how to market in a way people could easily understand at the time.

Yakuza also, for that matter. When the first one came out people thought it would be like Shenmue or like GTA and it was like neither and sold like shit.