Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a computer

1. Thanks. I'm about another week I should be ordering the final components (just so it's on my next credit card statement).

2. I'd suggest an Antec case along the lines of the P180, great build quality, great PSU. As for the HDD I'd personally go with two 320GB Seagates in a RAID 0 array, 320GB is the sweet spot right now and a RAID 0 array will really improve performance.

Both Asus and Intel make great boards and the Core 2 Duo is lightning fast, enjoy the cutting edge.

3. raid is just to damn iffy for my tastes. when it goes, the whole fucking show closes. not worth it to load maps 20 seconds faster imo.

4. I already bought the pieces. I bought the OCZ RAM, the Asus mobo that I quoted from Burky, a case from Geeks.com, and the Conroe processor. I hope a 450W PSU is enough to support it. I don't want to buy another one.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne View Post
    raid is just to damn iffy for my tastes. when it goes, the whole fucking show closes. not worth it to load maps 20 seconds faster imo.
    I had RAID-0 for a while. It was faster for copying files, but when tf do you really care about the speed of copying? I tested with some benchmarks too and it showed that generally there was no big improvement.
    Also it was really touchy, and at the slightest change to the BIOS my two disks would stop working in RAID-0 and would split, causing big problemsIMO if you really want speed get a raptor disk or something. RAID-0 didn't do much for me at all.

6. A RAID 1 array can actually improve reliability if that's your bag.

7. What PSU did you buy?
    I don't know what the recommendations are for Conroe, but I'd assume they are of a slightly higher standard than for S939.
    I think that you'd be wanting maybe a bit more power than what you got, maybe something more in the area 550-600W.
    On the 12+V rail I think you want at least 26A, or 36A if you are going for SLI else you may get problems sometime.
    I'll try and find a proper guide somewhere...

8. conroe uses less watts than the P4s and AMDs 64 bit chips
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

9. The PSU is my biggest concern. Since I'm not using a vid card right now, I'm sure a 450W PSU will handle what I need. I think my Dell had a 300W PSU or something and it performed fine.

If there are any problems I'll just buy another one, but I really don't want to spend $80 on a PSU.

10. a 450w psu will be fine, even with a video card, just as long as there's good voltage on the rails and it's a reputable brand/model. I should upgrade the psu that came with my $40 budget case, but I just can't be bothered to right now without a video card (and it seems that the psu, despite being pretty generic, has solid voltages within spec so my system is extremely stable short of bluescreening on streaming windows media files cause I refuse to install wmp 10)