Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a computer

1. Will Staples have that anti-static paper?

2. I have no idea. But your motherboard ought to have come with a good size sheet. I never throw away any of the packaging as you can't sell it afterwards without all that stuff.
    Last edited by Burky; 08 Oct 2006 at 04:55 PM.

3. Ah you mean those anti-static bags. I have maybe two or three lying around. Should I remove the mobo only or everything, including the hard drive and optical drive?

4. If the cables will reach it might be easier not to remove the drives. I ended up taking everything out and I ran it in the open for a few days before I could be bothered to put it back in the case.

5. I do hope this works because my friend has the same case and the power button works fine on it. Another thing worrying me about my case is the wiring. I swear I smell smoke after plugging in the system. I'm going to run some electrical tape on all the wiring just to be safe.

6. If you smell smoke, I would bet money it's because of that Aspire PSU.
    I was lucky, as my motherboard has an integrated power button on it, so it was no hassle to use it without a case. It may be fairly awkward for you though.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Burky View Post
    If you smell smoke, I would bet money it's because of that Aspire PSU.
    Bought it but I'm returning it once it gets here. I ordered this PSU.

The smell of smoke came from the bottom of the case which is where the wires are. I just assume power is passing through but there's a short in the wiring. If the electrical tape doesn't work I'm either going to have my dad help me rewire it or I'm just going to return it for another one. It's the last time I ever go for a cheap-o case.
    Last edited by Razor Ramon; 08 Oct 2006 at 06:26 PM.

8. That sounds dodgy.
    I wouldn't try turning it on until you get that sorted out.

9. Holy shit, started it outside of the case and that shit ran smooth as fuck. Burky, I <3 you.

A problem I'm having now is that the onboard video ain't giving a signal. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm letting the board run out of the case for now but it's just not giving any video so I can't do anything with it.

10. Awesome, I'm glad to hear that it's running well.
    Have you read the manual properly?
    There might be some jumpers you have to switch or something.
    Have you tried it with a video card, or have you tried it only with the onboard graphics?