Page 1 of 20 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core

1. Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core

I have been meaning to get around to a thread for this, so here we go.

The games first loc test was about a month ago, and now I think we have a fair enough amount of information to start a thread. This games name, accent core, comes from the dramatic changes made to the game system. The changes are much larger than from X to XX, or from XX to slash, so if anyone was looking for thier next game in the series, I would consider this it.

The rough changes give the game a very SFIII feel. They have put in Ex moves, Parrying, and throw breaks. The Ex moves are called Force Breaks, take a quarter tension, and in a bit of difference from SFIII, make many moves completely different. For example, if one Force breaks sol's fafnir (half circle forwards H, 41236H), on hit, it connects into his super, for a suprising 50% damage. I would say each character had roughly 75% of his slash incarnation, 25% new/dramatically changed. This is by far the biggest update of normals and specials to hit the series, so it may be a good chance for people to get into the game if they ever wanted to.

Parrying is done by hitting back, high slash, and normal slash. The character blinks gold, and reduces guard stun if a guard is made (to roughly the same levels of a parry). The downside, is if the parry is missed, there is a period where you cannot block. I believe it can be preformed high, low, and in the air.

Throw breaks are like in cvs2, throwing when the opponent attempts to leads to a break, air throws can also be broken, command throws cannot, and there is no whiff throw animation.

As the game is only location tested, there is little information on a possible new soundtrack, although the rumors are floating about.

Graphically, the game appears as if it might have been bumped to 60fps. Either that, or more frames of animation were added to the existing moves to give it a more fluid feel. (Even 2d fighting games running at 30fps do not visually change at that rate, they often have far fewer frames of real animation per move, but the possibility is there). Every background appears completely redone, as well as new character art, character selection screen, and on screen bars. The effects for hits, dusts, and specials have become much flashier, although the counter hit flash appears to have been toned down.

There do no look like there are any new characters at the moment, although the japanese have reported at this time the tiers look better than ever. (which is great, because guilty gear is still considered the most diverse balanced fighter in japan, so a movement towards more balance is impressive)

---- End of info, on to my opinions

Not sure the release date for this, although apparently chicago's nickle city, new jersey's super arcade, and texas's arcade will all be getting a cabinet soon after release, so if you are in those areas, check it out.

Personally, I am not sure if I will continue playing. In general, I do not like parrying in 2d fighting games. It feels like it removes traps and structured play in favor of safe poking. Thats why I would always take SFII over SFIII. Also, throw breaks, although good in slow paced games, help to balance the game towards defenders, but as guilty gear already has more defence based escape maneuvers than most 2d fighters, adding another level, in addition to parries, make take away the rushdown that makes the game so fun and exciting to watch. Overall, it remains to be seen, but these were the changes that were asked by many of the fans of the series, so perhaps it is for the better.

The new animation, character art, and Ex moves look great though, I can't wait to try those out.

Anyways, If there is a specific character that someone is interested in, I can translate/find the changes made to him/her, but I dont have time to do all 23 atm. Match videos can be found on youtube under a search of ggxxac.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

2. NO new characters at all?

That's insane. Pretty excited about the changes though.

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

3. I guess I'll wait for whatever system it's on but I wished they added new characters or something since it's weird buying the same game with only some tweaks here and there.

4. I just learned about this a week ago and, honestly, I was unaware of all the gameplay changes.

But, just as I've discussed with a couple people already, what the hell was the point with Slash if this is coming out so soon?

5. holy moly sammy/arc got that capcomitis in a full-on outbreak now

6. Yeah no kidding on capcom itis, still not sure.

Oh yeah i forgot, one more thing, apparently, certain air moves can be canceled into air dash as of the first loc test, not sure if they kept that.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

7. I love GGX2 but I've never been able to get excited about any of the upgrades. Does there really need to be a revision of the game every time someone at Arc Systems gets a new idea? None of these little gameplay tweaks mean shit against the CPU so...whatever.

8. Hey, here's a thought.

Maybe we didn't get Slash here because they knew this was coming out.

Maybe... maybe we'll see a US release of this?

9. God, I love Guilty Gear but I have just given up on it. There is no one to play here.

I might go down to Nickel City and try it out, but the hell if I can do anything on those american sticks.

10. Thanks for all the impressions, Destin. I doubt I get to play this unless it comes to a console, but the changes sound interesting, esp air moves cancelling into dash and the parries.

Every once in a while I play xx reload online with friends, and have a relatively lag-free time, but if I play anyone else, it lags like mad, usually. Its a shame.