Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: October Horror/Scary Movie Thread

1. October Horror/Scary Movie Thread

It's October, and Halloween will be here soon. I'm pretty excited about Halloween this year, and I want to get into the spirit by freaking myself out. I want to watch a scary movie every night this month, but I know very little about horror movies.

So the purpose of this thread is for suggestions/comments/critiques of any and all movies that are best enjoyed this time of year.

I've heard this one is pretty good. So tonight I'm starting off with...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stir of echoes.gif 
Views:	604 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	20823  

2. I'm doing an article for the paper about movies to watch on Halloween or in October, this is what I came up with (suggestions for thigns to add/change are welcome btw):

- The Thing (1982)
    - Halloween (1978)
    - Zombie (Zombi 2) (1979)
    - ‘Manos’: The Hands of Fate (1966)
    - Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)
    - Shaun of the Dead
    - Suspiria
    - The Evil Dead Trilogy
    - An American Werewolf in London
    - The Adventures of Pete and Pete – “Halloweenie”
    - Dead-Alive
    - Night of the Creeps
    - Ernest Scared Stupid
    - Hellraiser

Basically the article will be that list with banter about each movie, I'll post it when I write it if interested.

no night of the living dead?

4. Stir of Echoes is ok. Because its suprisingly not terrible rather than being genuinely good it tends to be overrated by some, much like the House of Wax remake (which is well worth watching once).

Some things not yet mentioned:

Creep
    Scream (terribly underrated imo)
    The Ring
    Bodymelt
    Wolf Creek
    High Tension

Return of the Living Dead = greatest zombie movie ever crafted
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

6. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post
    no night of the living dead?
    For the sake of keeping the article of reasonable length, I opted for Zombi 2 over The Dead series, just because Zombi 2 has naked shark fighting zombie titty action, and the Romero movies don't.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Revoltor View Post
    Return of the Living Dead = greatest zombie movie ever crafted
    Well, one of the best anyways.

Burt FTW

I'd give opinions about scary flicks, but we all know I have no taste in movies.

With that,

Friday the 13th
    Fear.Com(j/k lol)
    Thirteen Ghosts
    Blair Witch
    The Frighteners
    Sleepy Hollow
    Last edited by BerringerX; 02 Oct 2006 at 05:13 PM.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mr-K View Post
    - Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)
    Any particular reason why? (Part IV has always been tops for me.)

Rosemary's Baby and Eyes Without a Face are the freakiest movies I've seen. Other horror movies are usually too fun to be scary.

9. Gotta throw in the Original "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre." Its probably the scariest movie ever, to me. The first time I watched it, I had to return the video tape to the store immediately because I felt dirty having it in my house.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Sqoon View Post
    Any particular reason why? (Part IV has always been tops for me.)

Indeed. In terms of atmosphere and scariness, Final Chapter is tops. Jason Lives is just an all around fun little slasher, nothing I'd call scary.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.