Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4678

Thread: October Horror/Scary Movie Thread

1. Can anyone tell me how gory/violent Near Dark is?

2. Fairly gory and violent, it's a proper vampire flick. Why?
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. Trying to find introductory horror/monster flicks that aren't going to traumatize the date, who doesn't enjoy them but is being forced to watch a bunch with me - 'tis the season.

We've done It's Alive, Retardead (watched this with a group who insisted on it - UGH), Lo, Dreams in the Witch House (Masters of Horror episode) and Black Sabbath (American version.) All of which she's been fine with and some of which she genuinely enjoyed. Of the list we've both liked Black Sabbath the most.

It's hard guessing at violence levels for movies I haven't already seen but I want to watch new (to me) flicks.

4. The point of a good horror flick is to traumatize.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. Go watch Álex de la Iglesia's The Baby's Room. It's on Netflix.

Rest Stop is crap from what I recall, I'll be back with my list in a bit.

7. Troll 2
    Cabin Fever
    Friday the 13th (remake and original)
    Nightmare on Elm Street series
    Texas Chain Saw Massacre
    Scream
    I Know What You Did Last Summer
    Sassy Sue
    Pigkeeper's Daughter

the last two aren't horror but must be seen on Netflix streaming!
    No gnus is good gnus.

Wait this thread is hella old. I highly suggest Korean and Japanese Horror, too many to list. I just bought Let me in, both versions. I thought the Sixth Sense was scary, and the Ring. A lot of what you guys are listing are Mainstream pop Horror, no biggie. I will have to dig through my collection but of what has been listed Fraility is a must see.

9. Near Dark is fucking awesome. I was lucky enough to catch it on the big screen earlier this year, it was such a blast.

For some good horror that isn't gonna rape her face, i'd go with Poultergeist. Its pretty much a kids movie but its a great movie and a good introduction to the genre. Then i'd work my way into the mainstream 80's stuff like nightmare on elm street or friday 13th part 3 then choose from there depending on her preferences.

10. Quote Originally Posted by arjue View Post
    Near Dark is fucking awesome. I was lucky enough to catch it on the big screen earlier this year, it was such a blast.

For some good horror that isn't gonna rape her face, i'd go with Poultergeist. Its pretty much a kids movie but its a great movie and a good introduction to the genre. Then i'd work my way into the mainstream 80's stuff like nightmare on elm street or friday 13th part 3 then choose from there depending on her preferences.
    Thanks. I ended up watching Near Dark with some friends and not the date. Really enjoyed it. Don't think it would've been too violent for her. I've never seen Poltergeist so that'd be fun to check out.

It's really weird the aversion some people have against horror movies. One of the friends I watched Near Dark with spent the entire thing behind a pillow because I said it was a movie I had rented for Halloween. She didn't trust me when I assured her I had rented it because a source had said it was a good, but not at all terrifying movie. So, because she got herself all riled up she spent the entire time scared even though there wasn't a single "jump" in the movie.

Meanwhile, I've known other people who don't like horror movies because they don't find them in the least scary. So they'll watch a horror flick eye rolling the entire time about how un-phased they are, or how fake the gore is.

Point being it's all your attitude and mind set about how scared something is going to make you. But neither of those two cases, in my experience, will open up their mind to letting something affect them differently.