Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Detox and alternative medicine.

1. Detox and alternative medicine.

A friend through proxy is very into detox diets and all of that hoax bullshit. I know wiki isn't always the best source of info, but this section does have proper sources:

Body cleansing and detoxification have been referred to as an elaborate hoax used by con artists to cure nonexistent illnesses. Most doctors contend that the 'toxins' in question do not even exist.[15][2][16] In response, alternative medicine proponents frequently cite heavy metals or pesticides as the source of toxification, however no evidence exists that detoxification approaches have a measurable effect on these or any other chemical levels. Medical experts state that body cleansing is unnecessary as the human body is naturally capable of maintaining itself, with several organs dedicated to cleansing the blood and gut.[17] Professor Alan Boobis OBE, Toxicologist, Division of Medicine, Imperial College London states that "The body’s own detoxification systems are remarkably sophisticated and versatile. They have to be, as the natural environment that we evolved in is hostile. It is remarkable that people are prepared to risk seriously disrupting these systems with unproven ‘detox’ diets, which could well do more harm than good."[13]

The apparently satisfied testimonial and anecdotal accounts by customers can be explained by either disguised employees creating false anecdotes, or actual customers who are experiencing the placebo effect after trying the products, natural recovery from an actual illness that would have occurred without the use of the product, psychological improvements on illnesses that are psychosomatic or the result of neurosis, and the fact that a large number of dissatisifed customers have not posted equally applicale anecdoctes about their poorer experiences.[18]
    Anyone on TNL have two cents about this stupid crap? I've taken enough biology, chemistry and health classes to know the difference between how the human body works and how stupid-girls-who-are-too-skinny-because-they-starve-themselves-for-two-weeks think it does.

Any testimonials will be laughed at, since that is not scientific evidence.

2. I'ma goahead and leave this one alone.

3. medacine

4. It's more like stupid fat middle aged women that go for two weeks without eating cheeseburgers and are surprised that they feel better.

5. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    medacine

6. A detox now and then is good practice, but my definition of a healthy detox is one that lasts one day, and allows you to consume fruit and vegetable juices, water, sprouts/greens, legums, seeds and raw fruits and vegetables. There are some other things people add to the mix, like linseeds, milk thistle, or other cocktails of minerals and vitamins that you can make at home. I think the super healthy people do these once a week.

People who do detox diets usually have them last a few days and only drink some crap in a bottle they pay $24 bucks for, and eat some crackers. They usually will lose about 10 pounds, but it's mostly water weight.

TNL could use a detox.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rated E View Post
    A detox now and then is good practice, but my definition of a healthy detox is one that lasts one day, and allows you to consume fruit and vegetable juices, water, sprouts/greens, legums, seeds and raw fruits and vegetables. There are some other things people add to the mix, like linseeds, milk thistle, or other cocktails of minerals and vitamins that you can make at home. I think the super healthy people do these once a week.

People who do detox diets usually have them last a few days and only drink some crap in a bottle they pay $24 bucks for, and eat some crackers. They usually will lose about 10 pounds, but it's mostly water weight.
    Do you do the enemas as well? Because those are embarrassing.

9. Enemas seems really uncomfortable.

My idea of a detox is to go to Cracker Barrell and order some pancakes, and use two full bottles of syrup. My body will be completely cleaned out by the next day.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.