Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disabling Raid 0

1. Disabling Raid 0

After scouring google and finding no answer I figured someone here would hopefully be able to help me out. I'm receiving my new system tomorrow and the HD's are set up in 2x320GB Raid 0 configuration. Unfortunately when ordering the computer I really had no options to have Raid 0 disabled.

So my question is, does anyone know how to disable Raid so that I just have 2 seperate 320gb HD's, as opposed to using the Raid set-up where my data is split between 2 drives?
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

Transfer in your current raid config (raid 0 is dangerous, are you using this for a/v purposes? Lose one drive and you are fucked) to another source and then start from scratch.

3. I want to disable it just for that reason, if I lose one drive I'm fucked. It may seem like a noobish question, but what do you mean transfer my current raid config to another source?

I'm pretty computer saavy, but I know shit about hardware and hardware installation.
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

Buy yourself a nice big 500gb firewire/usb2 drive (or 2, storage is cheap these days) and dump all of your data on there, then reformat and start fresh. Don't ever run a raid 0 again (unless you have a legitimate reason). If you need to stripe across multiple disks for access purposes, and aren't doing manual backups, you need to be running both striping and redundancy, if you care about your data. There are multiple raid setups you can use for this, wiki can tell you all about the various setups, hardware required, etc...

5. I havn't gotten my system yet, it's coming tomorrow and is already preconfigured with Raid 0. I unfortunately didn't really have the option to change it. That also means there's no data on the HD's that I need. Does that mean I can just reformat? Or is there somewhere I need to disable Raid from before hand?
    Eat a bag of dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    I havn't gotten my system yet, it's coming tomorrow and is already preconfigured with Raid 0. I unfortunately didn't really have the option to change it. That also means there's no data on the HD's that I need. Does that mean I can just reformat? Or is there somewhere I need to disable Raid from before hand?
    Woah. I have a big old post on RAID's on my clipboard now, but before I posta that, tell me, why is the new computer you are getting set up for RAID 0? Is ti a prefab or are you building it yourself? Buying it from someone?

Oh, and hardware specs plz. mobo or link to prefab comp is all that is needed.

7. Bought it from Dell. I heard they were having problems with the Datasafe hard drives they offer, and it was between those and the Raid 0, so I went with Raid 0. Now I'm slowly realizing that may have not been the right decision.

Core 2 Duo E6600
    2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
    256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
    Serial ATA RAID 0 With Dual 320GB Hard Drives

Unsure about the motherboard. Apparently they are producing their own mobo's for the new XPS line, which is what I got, XPS 410.
    Last edited by Brand X; 06 Oct 2006 at 12:47 AM.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

Ok, easy. It's an nforce controller, which means it's built into your mobo's chipset, and can easily be defeated in the bios. I'd buy one more drive, a smaller one (60-80 gig) to use as your system drive, put it on an IDE channel (or better yet SATA), run the restore/windows install disks that come with it, make the smaller drive your system disk and make both of those 320 gigs storage disks on the other IDE channel.

9. Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it. This seems simple enough to do, and buying another drive just for the system files would most likely be a good idea anyways. Hopefully there will be enough room in the bootleg case they gave me.

Just to make sure I'm clear, I should be able to get to the Raid options through my bios?
    Eat a bag of dicks.

10. I accidentally loaded some different BIOS settings when I had my RAID-0 and that was irreversible. Fortunately I could still access all my data and use Windows as before, only that one of my Windows installations was invalid as the same key had been used on both my disks
    However, about two months on I have had some serious corruptions on those disks, which I think the RAID-0 disks not being reformatted before using seperately could be the cause.
    Since you have no data on them, just disable the RAID, and then re-install Windows.
    There is a RAID BIOS for my motherboard which is seperate from the motherboard one. You have to press a different key at the beginning, and then you can actually managed the array yourself by removing disks from it and then saving. See if you have on of those two.
    Just make sure you completely reformat those disks before you start putting anything valuable on them.
    Last edited by Burky; 06 Oct 2006 at 02:35 AM.