Thread: Pride of Baghdad

1. Pride of Baghdad

So I picked this book up based on a VERY strong word of mouth and I have to say, it's a really good book. In fact, it was so good it stayed in my head for a much longer time than any other book released this week (and this is after reading Ed Brubaker's Criminal which was awesome).

Now I hardly venture outside of the superhero stuff but since I was such a big fan of Brian K. Vaughn's Marvel book The Runaways, I figured what the hell. Anyway, the book is about 4 lions who escaped a zoo in Baghdad during the bombing of 2003. After they escape they set out on a journey to the walls outside of their usual holding pens and that's where things get wild.

There's just something about the animals in the book that really make them instantly likeable and get anyone with a heart to feel for them and what they're thinking and reacting to amid the chaos. Through their journey they meet more animals and the turtle in particular turned out to be the most entertaining as well as being a sort of political window or a viewpoint from that animal's perspective into what's been going on in Iraq regarding human interest and how it affected his life.

Anyway, I don't want to give away too much because you'll just have to read the book to see what else goes on but I wills say that the book has a very strong ending that will stick with you and have you asking questions as to how the circumstances came to be between the lions and the last stretch of their time in the war torn city. I can't even begin to imagine how else the book would have been as good if it wasn't for Niko's art which is just absolutely gorgeous and well worth the money.

Here's a sample of the art just in case you guys want a look see:

He perfectly captures creature emotions and breathtaking vistas the way a photo only could but the work here is just SO vivid. You'll just have to see it for yourself but there should be a preview on Brian K. Vaughan's website at www.BKV.tv

10/10

2. Vaughan is the best current writer in comics with the possible exception of Robert Kirkman (Grant Morrison's pretentious masturbation can go to hell). I'll check this out.

3. Cool Saint, check back in when you give it a read through.

It's definitely a good investment.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Saint of Killers View Post
    Grant Morrison's pretentious masturbation can go to hell
    IBTN