Thread: re-modding an xbox?

1. re-modding an xbox?

Long story short, I lent my xbox to someone, who in turn lent it to someone else, who I was right about being uncomfortable having it. Just got it back to find he reverted the modded OS to the original, but now it works like a machine possessed, randomly opening and closing the tray, and rebooting. It won't even stay off.

So I have three options:
    1. Reapply the soft mod and hope it doesn't make things worse, or reboot in the process.
    2. Connect the hard drive and replace the data with a copy I made before I lent the machine out.
    3. Buy a new xbox / xbox hard drive.

Any advice before I ruin the machine for good would be helpful.

Edit: Just remembered have a spare 80 gig drive lying around. Maybe I could swap it out for that if someone could point me in the right direction of setting it up.
    Last edited by AaronChance; 08 Oct 2006 at 01:23 AM.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

2. if per chance you had it originally softmodded i would just format the drive with any of the slayers discs and start it over (installing both the ms dash and whatever else yuo want). you shouldn't have to reapply the softmod or change hdd's.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Ammadeau View Post
    2. Connect the hard drive and replace the data with a copy I made before I lent the machine out.
    I did this to my friends Xbox when he fucked up the soft-mod's I put on there and it worked perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

4. Unfortunately, the drive is locked and the stupid soft mod proggy I used never had the option to back up the eeprom or the unlock code. I tried the re-mod method, only to get that bad luck I didn't have the first time I modded it... it crashed, and apparently took the dash with it since I've got a big red 16 error now. I've made boot disks, but the xbox refuses to load them. I even hooked up a PC drive to the thing to make sure it wasn't the drive, but no luck.

Unless someone has a wireless mod chip cheap, I think I'm completely screwed. The lesson here is never to be selflessly generous to anyone ever.
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

5. So you lent out an Xbox and it was passed to someone that decided to flash it himself? I'd make him buy me another Xbox, that's kinda fucked up.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    So you lent out an Xbox and it was passed to someone that decided to flash it himself? I'd make him buy me another Xbox, that's kinda fucked up.
    No. The xbox was already modded by me and working fine, though when you boot with the tray open you end up at the modded menu. I told him not to choose any of those options, but he must have been overcome with a case of SPACE MADNESS because he pushed the shiny button meant to revert it back to a stock box, which of course didn't work.

What kills me though is I could undo the damage if the hard drive wasn't locked. So the security MS put in to prevent piracy, which completely failed, is not keeping me from getting legit use from my xbox. And of course the shitty soft mod I used didn't bother to back up this info, which I didn't even know about until recently.

Typical bad luck for me, really.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Ammadeau View Post
    I even hooked up a PC drive to the thing to make sure it wasn't the drive, but no luck.
    You realize you need to format the drive in a special way to get your Xbox to recognize the drive? If you want to attempt to stick a new drive into your box to possibly get it working again, you can try this since you still have all of the original files backed up on your computer. It will also give you the chance to get a bigger HD in there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    You realize you need to format the drive in a special way to get your Xbox to recognize the drive? If you want to attempt to stick a new drive into your box to possibly get it working again, you can try this since you still have all of the original files backed up on your computer. It will also give you the chance to get a bigger HD in there too.
    Nope, can't do that one. Don't have the unlock code. Like I said, the softmod I used never bothered to back up the eeprom. The one thing I could do is a hot swap of the drives, but that's a little too risky for me. I'm going to go with a cheap mod chip, which seems pretty sure to work.