Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a new PC... troubleshooting hell

1. Building a new PC... troubleshooting hell

So I was helping lordsnarf build a new computer. He got an Athlon64 X2 4400, some new RAM and a GeForce 7600 PCI-E video card. The thing also has a built in video card, but its the usual dogshit (GeForce 6100 that shares memory with the system RAM).

Now, the integrated video works fine, but when we hook up the good card, it gets nothing. Takes an extra second and then switches over to the integrated shit. Its a brand new card and it seems unlikely that the card is just bad, but that's all I can think of. My comp uses AGP, so I can't test his card or try another one.

So basically I'm wonedering what else it might be. I was wondering if the power supply could be a facotr (the card doesn't seem to have any connectors for additional power but the box mentions requiring a PCI-E compatible supply anyway.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 22 Sep 2006 at 04:34 PM.

2. Stupid question, did you make sure to disable the onboard video?

3. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Stupid question, did you make sure to disable the onboard video?
    It doesn't have an option for total disable. But it does have one to default to the PCI-E slot video and only use the on-board one in its absence, which is how it's set now.

4. I doubt it is the Power Supply.... how much watts can the PSU can output?

EDIT: Double check to make sure there is no connector for the videocard... I just remembered that my X850 needs to be hooked up to the PSU.

5. yeah, I checked thoroughly. The video card doesn't seem to require any additional connectors. But the PSU also doesn't seem to have that PCI-E power connector thing so if if it did, we'd be SOL.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 22 Sep 2006 at 04:56 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    yeah, I checked thoroughly. The video card doesn't seem to require any additional connectors. But the PSU also doesn't seem to have that PCI-E power connector thing so if if it did, we'd be SOL.
    Was the card new? If so, it would have included a connector (the PSU doesn't care, the Y cable will take care of it).

7. It sounds like either the card or the slot. Someone must have another card or board you can use to test.

8. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Was the card new? If so, it would have included a connector (the PSU doesn't care, the Y cable will take care of it).
    The card was new. It included no such connector, but again, it doesn't seem to require one. There's no place to plug anything into the card except the little pins for the SLI connector at the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    It sounds like either the card or the slot. Someone must have another card or board you can use to test.
    Not really. We both have some AGP stuff lying around, but nothing PCI-E, unfortunately.

9. Read the manual carefully.
    It might be you have to switch some jumpers around on the motherboard or something sneaky like that.
    However, I've used a motherboard ith integrated graphics before, and added in a graphics card later and I didn't have to do anything. That was AGP though...

Like someone said, check the BIOS really thoroughly. With sound cards, you need to disable the onboard to make it work properly. I would assume its the same with graphics cards.
    Also make sure that you load the optimised defaults in the BIOS after you insert the graphics card.

I also would have thought that a 7600GT would have needed it's own power connection - even 6600GTs did. If you find you do you can get the adapter for $2 or so anyway.
    Last edited by Burky; 22 Sep 2006 at 07:26 PM.

10. I didn't see a jumper to manually override the video card, and I'm positive the BIOS settings are correct. I'm leaning toward dead video card right now, but I wish there was a way to test it

Oh and it's a 7600GS, not GT if that matters. He wanted to go sorta cheap since he wants to go for a DirectX10 card when they hit, and really is only looking for a card to hold him over for maybe a year.