Thread: Gonna get a wacom, any tips?

1. Gonna get a wacom, any tips?

So i have been thinking, and no matter how many i stop, I always start drawing again. So i was thinking, I just got a new Mac, and it seems i have more motivation and a friend is selling a small Wacom tablet to me for like 30$ pen and mouse, about a year old.
    My questions are as follows: How is currently using a tablet to draw on the PC with?
    Is it simple?
    What programs should i get to make it the best, simplest, and most fun it can be?
    Is it worth it?
    What can i do with it exactly?

I am so excited and confused because i have no real clue what to do with the tablet once i acquire such a gizmo..
    Thanks for everyones help!
    You can never be one of the dead, because something that has no existence can have no community.

Frontiers

2. http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/s...ighlight=wacom

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/s...ighlight=wacom

Check out those threads first and then see if you still have questions. Long story short: Wacom tablets are fantastic and any major art program (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) is your friend.

3. Just be prepared to learn how to use it, personally i think it feels more like drawing with a mouse than a natural pen or pencil.

4. You have more dexterity with your wrist and elbow with a tablet. You also have a nice surface area representative of the screen to work from as well. There are tricks to drawing with it. For instance if you want to draw a horizontal line you should use your whole arm and not your wrist (like hold your wrist steady).

Some people say that pushing upward vertically breeds healthier lines than pulling downwards. You don't usually get every line correct on the first try either. If it doesn't look right just CTRL Z (undo) and try again. I think Gabe from Penny Arcade did a small tutorial on gabeart with a video just recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. yes, i just watched that video of the inking Gabe did.. Makes me think i should also get a scanner.. but i suppose a digital camera would work too right?

but i mean, its only a 4x5 wacom, a friend bought and then didnt ever use, its a year old, and he said he would sell it to me for 25$ everything included, i couldnt see a down side to it!

thank you all, i am actaully very excited about art again, i feel like i am in highschool haha
    You can never be one of the dead, because something that has no existence can have no community.

Frontiers

6. You can use a camera. Technically scanners and camera's are very similar in what they do (catch image using light exposure). But you'll go nuts without a scanner. It's so much more convenient to just be able to scan your stuff in without having to make sure you take the photo right and hook it up to the computer.

I'd recommend getting a scanner. I've had an epson for about 4 years and it still works like a charm.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. haha i have a scanner, but it doesnt work with Windows XP, its to old.. We have it hooked to our Windows 95 machine..
    So a new one is in order.

Frontiers

8. Chemist, you try looking on the manufacturer's site for new drivers? I was able to get a new driver for mine, and the thing's not being manufactured anymore.
    Donk

9. i could try that, i will give it whirl soon enough finch, thanks! i didnt know i could do that but now i will try!

Frontiers