Thread: For you IT Geeks

1. For you IT Geeks

All involved in Data Centers, etc.

Cat 5e will be replaced by Cat 6 in most network specs by 07. Companies such as Progressive, the Mayo Clinic, and the Eaton corporation have already made the switch. Some NY and West Coast companies are already buying 10gB cabling to handle the demands of the new VoIP/Data networks.

look at

www.siemon.com and www.belden.com if you want to see the new specs.

Here's the bitch, 10gB cable is thicker than Cat 5E and will require rewiring for both plenum and riser cable.

Just though I'd pass that on since I was broadsided by it today in a meeting.

2. On the downside, that's a lot of work(I hate work), but on the upside, that's a lot of money(I like money). I'm kinda excited for this, everything's evolving exponentially.

3. Quote Originally Posted by andyrose View Post
    On the downside, that's a lot of work(I hate work), but on the upside, that's a lot of money(I like money). I'm kinda excited for this, everything's evolving exponentially.
    Truth is companies like Microsoft are pushing the copper as we speak. I would not be surprised to see a data network that requires fiber to come out by 2008.

4. By the way, are you in installation or distribution? It would seem that way.

5. We are on 2gb copper and Fibre for servers.

AS cat6 is more widely adopted you will start seeing cat 5 phased out, but that can be years down the line. Hell some places are still using token ring coax, and thats been outdated for a long time.

As for workstations and client side I dont really see mass replacement anytime in the near future for cat 5 due to cost, but do see an increase in cat 6 for new implementations

6. Quote Originally Posted by Biff_Pocoroba View Post
    By the way, are you in installation or distribution? It would seem that way.
    I own a computer sales and service company in southern Arkansas. I have a friendly company I deal with that does all of our bigtime wiring and cabling jobs, but we've been known to do it ourselves every now and then. Mostly I just deal with PC repair, sales, and website design though, but do a good deal of networking as well.

7. White/Orange Orange, White/Blue Green, White/Green Blue, White/Brown Brown.

Amirite?

BTW nice andys still alive and reppin Neomega at that
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake
    Look, Yes. I have banged hundreds of broads...internationally. But know this, I wrap my rascal 2 times. 'Cause I like it to be joyless and without sensation, as a way of punishing super-models.