Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ikaruga artist gets his own comic book (2/12 update: Art Book, too!)

1. Ikaruga artist gets his own comic book (2/12 update: Art Book, too!)

Sqoon sent me this, so props to him for the find.

San Jose, CA – October, 2006 DrMaster Publications Inc. and DGN Productions Inc. have just signed internationally acclaimed video game designer Yasushi Suzuki (aka – D-Suzuki) for an action-packed and completely original manga publication titled – Purgatory Kabuki.

“While many U.S. manga publishers license previously published works or scramble to find American artists with a ‘manga-like’ artistic style for OEL manga, DGN Productions has turned toward Japan and strategically signed Yasushi Suzuki.” states Marketing Director and Project Lead - Shawn Sander. “Suzuki-san is an accredited conceptual designer, animator and graphic artist who is incredibly well known for his work in Japanese and American video games.”
    Purgatory Kabuki Synopsis:
    Purgatory Kabuki is a non-stop samurai action story set in the underworld or afterlife. For reasons unknown, former samurai – Imanotsurugi is obsessed with leaving the afterlife. To die in battle is a samurai’s greatest honor. Yet, now Imanotsurugi must claim 1000 swords from the fallen warriors who share residence in the dark underworld. By these and these means alone, this highly skilled blades master will be allowed admittance back into the living world. But to what end? Upon what stone purpose does he sharpen his edge? His only enlightenment comes by way of a violently powerful but utterly adorable guide named – Enishi.
    Demons, Oni, magical denizens, supernatural ninja clans and more are met with a smorgasbord of blades and stylish action. The result is beautifully illustrated chaos sublime!
    “We are so very proud to bring a work with such intensity and is so completely original. Suzuki-san is one of Japan’s most innovative creative talents. We are truly honored! His enthusiasm, keen eye and flare for action planning is sure to astound you, as it has us. The story borrows heavily from various Japanese legends and myth--skillfully mixed bag of action, suspense, intrigue and classic ukiyoe style art!
    ”Yasushi Suzuki is a world renowned video game conceptual designer and animator. His work on IKARUGA (Sega), Sin & Punishment (Nintnendo), Radiant Silver Gun (Sega), and so many other games, mainly under the gaming development giant TREASURE GAMES, has earned him a following few other conceptual designers can match.

Please reference www.dgnproduction.com for sample images, about the author and further plot synopsis.
    Availability
    Purgatory Kabuki #1 ships 2007 TBA. Each chapter will feature color and black/white pages. Visit www.dgnproduction.com for more detailed series information.
    Click for full size
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 20 Oct 2006 at 12:50 AM.

2. That's pretty awesome.

3. That dude is an amazing artist..
    MK2 on XBLA plz - let the unfolding of gameplay begin!!

Day One.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

5. Quote Originally Posted by johnk_ View Post
    That dude is an amazing artist..
    He really is one of the best in the industry, buy he sure doesn't get the recognition for it. He used to have a lot of work on the web but his old site went down, and GAGraphic took down his graphic novels. I archived everything I could find (which is a lot), if anyone wants it.

http://sfkosmo.classicgaming.gamespy...ushiSuzuki.rar

6. omfg

7. Gonna take the time to try to make a good av/sig combo out of his amazing work.

8. Whatcha think?

9. lookin' sharp

10. Interview with Suzuki

The interviewer only seemed half familiar and it could use a copy edit, but it's the first time I've seen the guy interviewed. I'll have my own interview with him in a couple weeks and get into it.