Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: "Basic Grammar" sticky

1. "Basic Grammar" sticky

I have this annoying habit of semi-proofreading everything I read. This causes a faint little bothersome jolt when I run into a mistake. Maybe if we had a "Basic Grammar" sticky, people would make less of the more common mistakes. I'm not an English expert or anything myself. I'm talking about just the really basic stuff. Nobody wants to be wrong, and I think lots people don't realize just how simple some of the rules are, and that they, too, can learn them and never screw them up again.

E.G.

"Its" VS "It's."

This is so simple. Here's the rule: When you're contracting "it is," use "it's." IN ALL OTHER CASES USE "its." That's it. You're done. You'll never use the wrong one again.

"Your" VS "You're."

Same thing. You only ever use "you're" when you're contracting "you are." If you try subbing in "you are" and it doesn't make sense, then use "your."

Also, install the Google Toolbar in your browser. It takes all of twenty seconds. It comes with a spell checker that you can click once just before submit, and it'll go over everything you typed.
    Anyway, you get the idea. If nobody wants to write the whole initial post, people could post their own tips, and then we could compile them all into the first post.
    Last edited by Compass; 23 Jul 2007 at 12:45 AM. Reason: lol, fixed some mistakes some nine months after the fact. I couldn't sleep at night...

2. No one would read it unless it was endorsed by a Mortal Kombat character.

Name it: "TNL's Guide to Writing Good - as told by Reptile."

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

3. I agree with this need for a "Basic Grammar" sticky thread. However, I must admit that the people who post on this board are much more articulate, and they have way less errors in grammar compared to other boards that I visit on a consistent basis. Moreover, I also confess that I do make some basic grammar errors from time to time in my posts, but as an English teacher, it irritates me when I notice too many grammatical errors.

4. I'd prefer: "Robot Smoke's guide to not writting like buttplant".

5. Yeah, a sticky thread on TNL is the answer for people too stupid to retain basic information after 13 years of education.

This is a stupid idea.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by AFX View Post
    Yeah, a sticky thread on TNL is the answer for people too stupid to retain basic information after 13 years of education.
    Exactly.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

8. Quote Originally Posted by AFX View Post
    Yeah, a sticky thread on TNL is the answer for people too stupid to retain basic information after 13 years of education.
    I've known intelligent people who still mess up on the "its/it's" thing, not realizing how simple the rule actually is.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I'd prefer: "Robot Smoke's guide to not writting like buttplant".
    Lesson 1 -- Commas and periods should always be placed inside quotation marks, while semicolons and colons should always go outside the quotation marks. Exclamation points and question marks go on the inside if they are included in the quotation or on the outside if they are a part of the sentence at large, and not the quotation itself.