Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horror Short Story Recomendations

1. The Mist (Stephen King)
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

2. I read very obscure horror novels but I must say the creepiest thing I've read where I literally got freaked and had my then-bf come over was

www.johndiesattheend.com

if only because its on the internet, it wasnt found in the fiction section. and I like the writing. Its long too. you get wrapped up and your sitting there in the dark in front of the glow of the moniter and you feel the hair on the back of your neck go up.
    [Insert large, loud, flashing signature here]

3. An English professor at my college has hooked me towards ancient gothic literature. Aside from classics from Poe, you should read the novels (I know you said short stories but I hardly read those so sorry in advance) Dorian Gray and Jekyll and Hyde. I was surprised how good the original Jekyll and Hyde turned out to be.

4. Quote Originally Posted by M View Post
    I read very obscure horror novels but I must say the creepiest thing I've read where I literally got freaked and had my then-bf come over was

www.johndiesattheend.com

if only because its on the internet, it wasnt found in the fiction section. and I like the writing. Its long too. you get wrapped up and your sitting there in the dark in front of the glow of the moniter and you feel the hair on the back of your neck go up.
    I've been reading John Dies at the End almost all weekend. I can't stop, it's so good. Weird as hell though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. poppy z. brite's wormwood is a collection of short stories she's written. i've read the book more than once and love all the stories in it. they're all very good. one of her short stories, "his mouth will taste of wormwood," is actually a retelling of h.p. lovecraft's "the hound."
    "I am government man, come from the government. The government has sent me."

Quote Originally Posted by gir View Post
    poppy z. brite's wormwood is a collection of short stories she's written. i've read the book more than once and love all the stories in it. they're all very good. one of her short stories, "his mouth will taste of wormwood," is actually a retelling of h.p. lovecraft's "the hound."
    I read this and one of her novels, and -not trying to sound smarmy- I concluded that Brite is a hack. The shit demonstrated a similar lack of writing ability as Anne Rice (Brite's admittedly a little better) but without Rice's ability to at least tell an interesting story. All it seemed to me was gothy zomg homoerotic shock value aimed at teenagers and not much in the way of genuine tension or fear.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

7. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    I read this and one of her novels, and -not trying to sound smarmy- I concluded that Brite is a hack. The shit demonstrated a similar lack of writing ability as Anne Rice (Brite's admittedly a little better) but without Rice's ability to at least tell an interesting story. All it seemed to me was gothy zomg homoerotic shock value aimed at teenagers and not much in the way of genuine tension or fear.
    i can't stand anne rice. i've tried to read her stuff, but it lacks a plot. i felt like her stuff was a lot of boring tales that just led nowhere. brite creates great imagery and prose. and i've read splatterpunk before, and brite doesn't fit into that category; her stuff really isn't created for shock value. and i don't think she was really goth when she wrote her first stories, and she's definitely not goth now (she states that specifically in her interviews); her new novels are about chefs in new orleans.
    "I am government man, come from the government. The government has sent me."

I have another (newer) compilation of short stories that features her doing a Mythos tale, perhaps I will read that next. I am interested to see her take on it, and I've certainly changed my opinion about writers before.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

the big problem with rice is that everyone is gay.

everyone