Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up Gran Turismo 3...

zidane747 Guest

Just picked up Gran Turismo 3...

Thank God for the GH label. $20 games are really going over well with my parents. Anyway, after putting the game in, I was floored by the opening sequence. I was like,"THIS is the game?!". Yes, I haven't been this shocked by a game's graphics engine since(you guessed it),MGS2, and for good reason too. Plainly put, the graphics are just insane. One look at the Forest Level, with the sunlight trickling through the trees, is enough to satisfy any complaints that gamers have about the PS2's capabilities. Now, although the graphics are amazing, it's the gameplay that is genius. I woke up today at 8:00 AM, and played until 11:30 AM just going through the License Tests(I'm halfway through getting the iA license now). I've yet to come close to scratching the surface of this game, it's that huge. I've also learned a few things about driving as well. There is so much to this game, I don't think I'll unlock it all in a month. This game was only supposed to hold me over until I buy a GCN, but now I won't even notice the wait.

Any one else like or hate the game?

2. Re: Just picked up Gran Turismo 3...

Originally posted by zidane747
    I woke up today at 8:00 AM, and played until 11:30 AM just going through the License Tests(I'm halfway through getting the iA license now). I've yet to come close to scratching the surface of this game, it's that huge.
    Three and hlaf hours and you've barely scratched the surface? Yeah, it's enormous. Lay off the MGS2, man.

It far exceeded my expectations when I picked it up last fall. I assumed I would hate it like the second one, but no, it turns out I think I like it even more than the first

4. i don't know what it is, but i just cannot be impressed by the graphics in a driving game... i've played GT3 somewhat extensively, and at least while driving, the graphics fail to impress me... and from a replay stand-point, they really don't look all that much different from the replays in GT1/2...

... eh... i dunno... i still like the game...

zidane747 Guest
    Well, when I first saw the graphics, I was amazed. I still am now, but I concentrate more on racing now then when I first played. I'm looking forward to mastering this game, and I'll probably not be done when I get my GCN in a month. Oh, and SOK, me, lay off MGS2? Nope, and now that MGS2:Substance is going to be released(my uncle has an Xbox, and lives a block away from me ^_^), I'm kicking it into overdrive baby!!!

6. Well, you wanted opinions from both sides of the fence, and personally, no matter how much I force myself, I can just not like Gran Turismo 3 (or 2, or 1). Maybe I've just been raised on arcade racers, or something, but I find the GT games unimaginably boring. I have no love for 'real' cars, so perhaps I'm losing that aspect, but I just don't see the fun in driving crappy cars doing lame license tests (i.e. take this Volkswagon, drive in a straight line, and stop on the line.....yee-haw, I'm on it!). Granted, there's much more to the game, so I messed around in arcade mode to see what I could look forward to...well, what I found was that the sense of speed was utterly lacking. Even going 100+ mph, the game seems slow. I don't know about you, but I can drive my own car 100 mph and get a pretty good thrill, not so from this game. The only danger at those speeds is that your car will simply not respond well at those speeds, in some alleged nod to realism. -and maybe it is [realistic]. But since it doesn't feel or look like I'm going fast, I only get annoyed that I'm having to 'realistic' physics.

Also, I found the tracks pretty boring too. Detailed, yeah, realistic, mostly...but nothing I couldn't experience in real life. What's the draw for you folks out there? Do you guys just like driving and tinkering with your "dream" car (Viper, or whatever). For me, the GT games can't hold a candle to the more creative racers, as far as a fun and exciting racing experience go.

Games that *I* would play before GT:
    -Rock & Roll Racing
    -Wipeout
    -F-Zero
    -Mario-Kart
    -Extreme G3
    -SSX
    -Wave Race
    -Hydro Thunder
    -etc.

...all games which I feel offer something unique and fun in a racing game. Gran Turismo? Wow, it's just like real life...sorta. When was that fun, again?

Okay, rant over

7. Originally posted by FirstBlood
    i don't know what it is, but i just cannot be impressed by the graphics in a driving game...
    Is it, maybe, because they're cars? And no matter how accuratly you represent them graphically, they're still just CARS?!

Throw fireballs at him...
    Laugh at his moustache...
    http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/...o_gcn_game.jpg
    But do not mess with his vacation.

8. Yeah, what Apokryphos said. Just couldn't get into it, and I really tried. Maybe because I'm not a car freak. It just wasn't exciting, and never conveyed a sense of speed. Hell, V-Rally on Dreamcast (especially in 1st person) was infinitely more exciting to me, and that title doesn't come close to topping my list of favorite racers.

Oh well, good for you, anyway. You got it for cheap AND you like it.

9. Granted, there's much more to the game, so I messed around in arcade mode to see what I could look forward to...well, what I found was that the sense of speed was utterly lacking. Even going 100+ mph, the game seems slow. I don't know about you, but I can drive my own car 100 mph and get a pretty good thrill, not so from this game. The only danger at those speeds is that your car will simply not respond well at those speeds, in some alleged nod to realism. -and maybe it is [realistic]. But since it doesn't feel or look like I'm going fast, I only get annoyed that I'm having to 'realistic' physics.
    This is exactly my opinion on GT3. Word for word, I totally agree with you. I've never been a fan of the GT series, so jacked graphics were nice to look at, but didn't mke me like the game any more. Especially when it felt like I was driving a UPS truck instead of a Viper. I like arcade racers so much more, I couldn't get into it.

10. A great racing game. While not the same style of racer, as those found in the arcades, it does have much replay value. Speaking of replays. The replays in GT1 and 2 were impressive for the time, but can't even compare to those found in GT3, unless your playing GT2 with Bleemcast, but it's still not as polished, as those found in GT3. I also loved the amount of songs available, as you race. You can even go through the menu, and choose the songs you want to hear,as you play.