Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Gamers"

1. Quote Originally Posted by Captain Vegetable View Post
    I said that a gamer is someone who plays games. Period. Even the ones that ONLY play sports games, or the ones who ONLY play Hello Kittie's Rainbow Island Adventure (or whatever-the-fuck). I also say that, from there, the categories narrow, such as "Sports Gamer," "PC Gamers," "MMO Gamer," or any other category you could think of, no matter how broad or narrow.
    you are correct
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    you are correct
    :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

3. Get a new friend, you don't need any elitist BS friend.

4. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Get a new friend, you don't need any elitist BS friend.
    Hey now. He's a good friend of mine, and this was a friendly kind of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

5. Quote Originally Posted by g0zen View Post
    When I think of 'gamers' I think of those guys in the Collins College commercials who "just need to tighten up the graphics a little bit."

6. i have always assumed that collins college uses those commercials as a weeding out process for any serious gaming development students. if they beleive anything from the commercials, they get put in the time waster classes, to get shaken down for tuition. if they realize that the commercials are bunk, then they are put in the actual game development classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.

7. Your friend is retarded.

I consider myself an enthusiast/japan-centric gamer but even I wouldn't limit "gamer" to a select few.

8. I think if a person calls himself a gamer then he's a gamer. I mean, I occasionally draw, but I'm not an artist. My dad plays Tetris on a little LCD game system he has in front of the TV. But he certainly wouldn't tell you that he's a gamer.

The term "gamer" isn't quite a match for "movie goer," but more like "movie buff," I think. If someone tells me that he or someone else is a gamer, I assume the person in question engages in more than the occasional Windows Solitaire.

9. What happens when a friend says I play guitar? I play basketball? I workout? I ski? This doesn't mean you are in a band, it doesn't mean you're in the NBA, and it sure as hell doesn't mean you are a professional body builder. It means what it says.

I'm a gamer is lame in itself. Defining ourselves by what we have as a hobby is lame IMO. I play games. Period. Along with all the other stuff I do. I work. I have a life, etc. Why try making a big deal out of it? If people enjoy games, know what they are, then they play games and are "gamers." Sure.

Anyone who plays games is a gamer. There is no hidden connotation. There's a difference between, for instance, being a film fan and being a critic/expert in the field. So I could see people saying I'm a video game analyst or scientist like those guys at MIT who study the trends and whatnot. I'm a gamer is generic and simply means anything -- I play madden on weekends while partying with my friends or I can quote Metal Gear Solid word for word cause I'm 'lite like that.

There is no point in trying to form a system that will tell us if we are "gamers." Case in point -- I've been a "gamer" since I was a little kid, yet I have never played through any of the Metal Gears expect the original NES one. Would I fail to meet the criteria?
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

10. your mom is a gamer