Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Gamers"

1. Quote Originally Posted by Biff_Pocoroba View Post
    your mom is a gamer

LOL.

Yeah gamer is more like a movie buff. This person would know more about it than your average person. They read the game mags, check out the gaming news sites, watches those podcast E3 shows, etc. I also agree with the breakdown, when I think of Sports Gamer I think of the frat guys who sit on a wednesday who play Madden. So, yeah that breakdown Capt. is about accurate.
    Last edited by Advocate; 30 Oct 2006 at 10:18 AM.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

2. Quote Originally Posted by MarkRyan View Post
    I think if a person calls himself a gamer then he's a gamer. I mean, I occasionally draw, but I'm not an artist. My dad plays Tetris on a little LCD game system he has in front of the TV. But he certainly wouldn't tell you that he's a gamer.

The term "gamer" isn't quite a match for "movie goer," but more like "movie buff," I think. If someone tells me that he or someone else is a gamer, I assume the person in question engages in more than the occasional Windows Solitaire.
    I agree with this.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mman View Post
    Saying you are a gamer is a lot like saying you are a smoker. A lot is assumed.
    Yeah. I know a lot of people who play stuff like Madden and Halo all the time but use the word "gamer" as a derogatory term to refer to somone who has little else going on apart from games.

4. The people who call themselves gamers are the ones who make Nintendo Wii jokes and spell Microsoft with a dollar sign. They can keep calling themselves gamers if it makes them feel better about themselves.

5. To me a gamer is anyone who can talk coherently about games and by that I mean they don't need to explain what they are talking about through wild gesticulations or vague descriptions like "I like the game where this was this red guy jumped on things, that shit was tight." Or just enjoys it as a hobby, and while I think sports games are shit on a disc I would still begrudgingly admit that people who play only sports games are gamers.

6. Xbox 360 II

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRyan View Post
    I think if a person calls himself a gamer then he's a gamer. I mean, I occasionally draw, but I'm not an artist. My dad plays Tetris on a little LCD game system he has in front of the TV. But he certainly wouldn't tell you that he's a gamer.

The term "gamer" isn't quite a match for "movie goer," but more like "movie buff," I think. If someone tells me that he or someone else is a gamer, I assume the person in question engages in more than the occasional Windows Solitaire.
    Thank you. That was exactly the point I was trying to make. Basically my point is not that the actual definition of the word gamer means someone who plays hardcore, but rather most people today assume that that is what it means.

I'm not trying to change the English language, Merriam-Webster, actual factual definition. That, would be anyone who plays a game. Obviously. The point I WAS TRYING to make, was that if you walked up to John Q. Public on the street, and asked him what a gamer was, He would most likely tell you someone who plays alot of video games. It's become a label in our society today...someone who plays video games more than they do anything else.
    Last edited by MasterShake; 30 Oct 2006 at 05:26 PM.
    "Suggest all you want! It won't make your weenie any bigger you dildo lizard!"