Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Taking test on C++

1. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    It should be based entirely on how much code you can possibly write on your naked body.

IMO.
    lol
    "I am government man, come from the government. The government has sent me."

2. Quote Originally Posted by gir View Post
    most programmers learn through hands-on techniques; they'll learn something by doing it themselves rather than from a lecture or a book.
    Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Kurtis Stryker View Post
    This isn't a worthless skill to learn. As a programmer, you're often expected to read and modify/correct code written by someone else, occasionally even written in such a way as to be intentionally confusing (some people think they can't be fired if they're the only ones who understand their spaghetti code).
    I second this. Reading code is just as important as writing it.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    Little did they know I did them the night before every single time.
    Quote Originally Posted by gir View Post
    this is true for almost every single coder i've known. it's like built into a programmer's genes or something.
    ------Start rant------

A sure recipe for shitty code. Not thought out, difficult to maintain, and prone to bugs and extensive rewrites. I am so tired of fixing poorly written, un-documented code.

------End rant------
    Last edited by Nei; 06 Nov 2006 at 10:07 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Nei View Post
    ------Start rant------

A sure recipe for shitty code. Not thought out, difficult to maintain, and prone to bugs and extensive rewrites. I am so tired of fixing poorly written, un-documented code.

------End rant------
    true dat.

i was taught to write well-documented and easy-to-read code with good variable and function names and all that crap. and the thing that really helped me when i coded was testing everything as i created it. it takes more time to do, but it really helped me figure out exactly where errors were occurring. plus, you can't get help from the TA's if you wait 'till the night before to write the program.

it always drove me nuts to see my friends spit out the entire program without testing it and then get more error messages than the machine could handle.
    "I am government man, come from the government. The government has sent me."

6. IP, you still need C++ pointers and stuff? I'm about to finish up my advanced C++ class...
    http://www.ammosart.com/~iidx/images...OS-TNL-Sig.jpg
    Der Wille zur Macht
    Jenseits von Gut und Böse
    Also Sprach Zarathustra

7. I think i took a class just like this, i was even in the electrical section. In our class the prof would write out a big this of code, and basically erase random things, and large chunks, we had to fill it in. Also we had to write lots of loops, and at one point code a program that would invert any matrix properly... We didnt touch a computer once, even on the assignments, it was pen and paper.
    My suggestion is write it all out in pen and paper, from memory (after trying to memorize all you can) then type it in and go through to check your errors.

If its on paper, study it on paper. It will help. Also when you do assignments try doing as much as you can without using any aids, just do them from what you remember, it may help on the tests, since those test what you can remember as well.

Cheers!
    You can never be one of the dead, because something that has no existence can have no community.

Frontiers