Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking test on C++

Taking test on C++

does anyone have any tips on learning C++ code for test preparation?

I think I just bombed my second C++ test. Despite having a 100 in all other work, I'm just horrible at taking test on the stuff. Don't know what it is, just can't seem to remember all the syntax on the fly.

so yeah, anyone know how to close this gap between being able to do the work, and take a test on it?

2. i had the same problem. when i was a comp sci major i did awesome on the projects, i was a great coder, but when it came to the pen-and-paper tests i had a lot of trouble.

what kind of stuff did the test you just took cover?
    "I am government man, come from the government. The government has sent me."

eh, simple shit. Mostly kinds of loops, arrays, and pointers.

=/ I'd much rather have three times the work and no test. The class and lab work isn't enough for me to memorise the details. I do all the HW, extra cred, and lab work, but come test time, my mind goes blank.

4. Programming on paper as part of an exam should be banned from colleges.

5. Actually, the tests I used to take in college regarding programming itself were not so concerned with the syntax, as long as you showed in general you knew how the syntax worked. They were more interested in you being able to come up with the algorithms and solutions to the problems. If your professor is a stickler for syntax, then he does not really know on what to focus as Comp. Sci./Eng. educator. I have been working as an engineer now for almost 7 years and I still look up syntax for all of the languages I program in. That’s why books and Google exist.

In any case, good luck.
    Last edited by Nei; 05 Nov 2006 at 09:39 AM.

6. Same here. The profs didn't care if it was psuedo-code or what. It's all about solving the problem.

7. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post

I think I just bombed my second C++ test. Despite having a 100 in all other work, I'm just horrible at taking test on the stuff. Don't know what it is, just can't seem to remember all the syntax on the fly.

so yeah, anyone know how to close this gap between being able to do the work, and take a test on it?
    Make programs, get errors, and learn what they are. Make 3 programs one doing each of the things you're having a test on, and then make another that combines all of them, and do your best not to look at other code when doing it. Also yeah I think the major skill in programming is also knowing how to get information pertaining to your code, and that it soudns liek these tests suck.

8. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post
    Practice. Whether it's on paper or applicable programming, practice is the best way to prepare/improve at coding. Even writing pseudo code down on paper helps tremendously with figuring out a work flow and how things should be programmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

9. was it just writing out code or was it that crap where they want to know if a loop takes nlog(n) time to run and what these twenty different functions done in a row on an array will produce?

if it's just writing out code, then yeah, the best thing to do is just practice. definitely make sure to go over the previous test problems numerous times, ingrain that crap into your head.
    "I am government man, come from the government. The government has sent me."

one of the questions was to finish this bit of code about making

cout >> x >> " bottle of beers on the wall" >> x >> "bottles of beer" >> endl;
    cout >> "take one down, pass it around" >> endl;
    cout >> x-1 >> "beers on the wall" >> endl;

I was to make that loop untill it hit zero, and to not let it go negative.

I used a do/while loop, which she may not like becuase that was like on the last test. I put x=x-1 at the end, and had it loop so long as x > 0 with the return 0 outside the loop.

And I completely screwed up the array stuff. She wanted us to write out this 8X8 chart and show where shit was stored. I never do that when I code. I just dick with it untill it does what I want.