Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Atari 7800

1. Quote Originally Posted by PBMax View Post
    Yeah both the 5200 and 7800 have crazy power cords.

The 5200 cord actually plugs into the RF adapter.
    Actually, there were two models of the 5200. One did this and one didn't.

2. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    Actually, there were two models of the 5200. One did this and one didn't.
    That's true, but most of the 5200s I see around need the crazy RF adapter.
    Backloggery
    GameTZ

Go home and be a family man.

3. Sonic

i remember wanting a 7800 cause all my friends had a 2600 and at first i wanted a 2600, but then heard that the 7800 could play games for both systems, and ofcourse it was the newest Atari game system.

I never got it though. I ended up getteing a Sega Master System, which was also a very cool system.
    "Till All Are ONE"

-Please visit FavoriteToons.com - your COMPLETE Cartoon Online resource.

By - Moonbaseone

Quote Originally Posted by Agent X View Post
    NeoZeedeater, the colors for 7800 Tower Toppler do appear wrong on the emulated screenshot you posted. This might have to do with some graphical phenomenon where they draw the graphics in a single color in the high-resolution mode, which creates artifacts on a TV that show up as different colors. This sort of trickery was more common on Atari 8-bit computer games, and may have appeared in a few 5200 games as well. The idea as I understand it (as I haven't programmed these machines) is that you can simulate several colors without the need to drop to low-res mode. The downside is that many emulators don't account for this trickery, and a modern high-resolution monitor shows the bitmapped graphics exactly as they were "programmed", rather than the intended artifacting that appears on a low-resolution NTSC TV with RF or composite.
    Neat. I always wondered why emulators had color issues. That makes sense.

Another thing I find interesting about Nebulus is that its creator, John Phillips, was one of the founders of the Bitmap Brothers.

5. Atari 2600, 5200, and 7800 will also show wrong colors if you play a PAL game on an NTSC system or vice versa, and that applies to emulation as well. So that's also a possibility.

It's rare when old official sales reports surface many years later so I figured I would post this here if anyone's interested. From 1986-1990, the 7800 sold over 3.7 million units. That's more than I expected. Figures for the XE and 2600 in this period are going to be put up at atariage soon.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index...&#entry1756601

Some individual game sales were added up here - http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132000

And for the original post, there's a mistake: 7800 Food Fight wasn't a home exclusive. There was an XE version as well.

7. Very interesting numbers.

I found this article ("Atari, Sega, and Nintendo Plan Comeback for Video Games") from June 1986 recently. Contrary to popular belief, the 7800 was not pushed out because Nintendo was doing so well (the NES didn't REALLY take off until '87 or '88, anyway). It was actually released (re-released?) that January because of strong 2600 sales the previous Christmas. Keep in mind that on Christmas 1985, there was no Master System, and the NES hadn't gone nationwide yet.

8. readt that digit press post, I am one of only 400 with Ninja Golf? WTF?

I remember getting the nes and my buddy matt got the 7800. Out of the gate we enjoyed his system more (food fight, dig dug, etc) but the nes was a monster and when rbi baseball and ninja gaiden came out it was game over.

Quote Originally Posted by CRV1 View Post
    Very interesting numbers.

I found this article ("Atari, Sega, and Nintendo Plan Comeback for Video Games") from June 1986 recently. Contrary to popular belief, the 7800 was not pushed out because Nintendo was doing so well (the NES didn't REALLY take off until '87 or '88, anyway). It was actually released (re-released?) that January because of strong 2600 sales the previous Christmas. Keep in mind that on Christmas 1985, there was no Master System, and the NES hadn't gone nationwide yet.
    Interesting. A January 1986 7800 launch would slightly predate the nationwide NES launch. I had thought the 7800 was released closer to the SMS that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Othello
    readt that digit press post, I am one of only 400 with Ninja Golf? WTF?
    It's not quite that rare. The game came out in 1990 and those numbers aren't including 1991 sales.

10. I have a boxed Ninja Golf. Uber rare leetness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!