Thread: Firewire/DV Screenshot Software Wanted

1. Firewire/DV Screenshot Software Wanted

I'm looking for a program that can simply take screenshots of video coming from a Firewire/DV port, and save the images (JPEG, TIFF, whatever) in some sort of sequential order, preferrably by pressing a hotkey.

I use DScaler for such screenshot capture but it doesn't support Firewire/DV. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. something like virtualdub or adobe premiere won't fit the bill?

3. I remember trying VirtualDub before and not getting it to work satisfactorily--I'll have to try it again to remember why.

Premiere doesn't seem to have any real screenshot function. Best I can do is capture a video, then export individual frames as JPEGs.

DScaler is nice and simple--just hit the L key and it grabs a screen, timestamped. I have a lightgun foot pedal attached to my computer that's set up to act as the L key so I can just take screenshots with my foot while I'm playing through games. I'm hoping to find a program that'll let me do the same thing but with video coming through Firewire/DV.

4. No other advice?

Somewhere I found some information that made me believe I can get the desired effect by installing ffdshow, but to be honest I don't really understand what ffdshow is--and as such, I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

5. ffdshow is a codec package

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/

6. cant you hit the exact frame you want, file-> export -> frame, on premiere pro?

7. Quote Originally Posted by RDM Brian View Post
    cant you hit the exact frame you want, file-> export -> frame, on premiere pro?
    Yes--it's just time consuming. We take hundreds, if not thousands of screenshots for guides. Exporting them individually from recorded videos--as opposed to just pressing a key and snapping them during play--takes up wayyyyyy more time.

8. Quote Originally Posted by outRider View Post
    Does MPC work with Firewire/DV video input?

9. Quote Originally Posted by MarkRyan View Post
    Does MPC work with Firewire/DV video input?
    If I recall correctly they do, they support any DirectShow device. If not MPC then most likely VLC. Download them both, you can just unzip them somewhere and run them, no installer necessary. They both have different options as far as screenshots and timestamps go.