Thread: Office Suite for Mac

1. Office Suite for Mac

Whats a good open source/free program that I can download to open powerpoints, excel files and word documents.

The trial on this workstation (Intel Xenon) has expired. OpenOffice is for PC or for Macs with Windows on it which this doesnt have. Anyone heard of NeoOffice? Supposedly its based off of OpenOffice. Is there any other programs or is NO fine?

2. Yarrrrr
    I agree, i used Neo office for a couple months before i got M$ office, and it worked pretty great. I was suprised actually how nice it was for something that was free.
    However i had a problem were new documents wouldnt work with spell check, only things created on windows and opened in Neo Office.. i think i just screwed it up somehow.. whatever, use it!
    You can never be one of the dead, because something that has no existence can have no community.

Frontiers

3. I have Office for OS X and detest it. RUns like shit, slows everything down, pretty much makes everything else its bitch. NeoOffice is far, far superior.

4. There's an OpenOffice port for OSX. I can't imagine why bandit thought that it's windows only.

5. It's also uncompiled or can only be run from Terminal or something.

I can't figure it out.

NeoOffice. Do it.

6. Nah, it just needs to have X11 installed, just like gimp.
    X11 is on every OSX disc, it's just not installed by default.

The only real drawback to using X11 for it's interface is that it means that each window has it's own menus, instead of using apples menu bar.

7. Nomi - I have Microsoft office for my macbook, if your running MS Office on an intel mac it WILL slow everything way down since its made for PowerPC and not intel, and has to run through rosetta. In 2007 a new universal binary Office will be released and that will run really fast since rosetta wont be needed..If your not on an intel mac, then i dont know what to tell ya.

I have MS Office on my macbook, and its fine, 1GB of Ram runs its fast enough, alot better then my shitty 256 PC i had before my macbook, so its a huge step up.
    You can never be one of the dead, because something that has no existence can have no community.

Frontiers