Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TNL Comic/Manga Club: Powers

1. TNL Comic/Manga Club: Powers

Ok this time around it's Brian Michael Bendis, & Michael Avon Oeming's Powers. This is on of my favorite series. It has a great combination of story and art that work well together. Story wise it's like a cop detective show and a super hero comic in one. Art wise it's a little like the Batman cartoon series with a cartoony film noir-ish look.

Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_%28comics%29
    Fan site - http://www.hiddenrobot.com/POWERS/
    Preview - http://comics.newsarama.com/powers/
    Amazon - Hardcover of the first 3 story arcs.

2. Also a good comic. I havent read that it a long time. well written though, I agree.
    [Insert large, loud, flashing signature here]

3. I got the first GN (Whatever Happened to Retro Girl?) about a year ago... I dunno, after all the hype, I thought it was pretty underwhelming. I'll reread it to make sure I wasn't just in a bad mood or something, I guess. Are the other story arcs any better?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    I got the first GN (Whatever Happened to Retro Girl?) about a year ago... I dunno, after all the hype, I thought it was pretty underwhelming. I'll reread it to make sure I wasn't just in a bad mood or something, I guess. Are the other story arcs any better?
    I think so, though I didn't think the second one "Role Play" was that great after that though it picks up again.

5. I liked the issue with Warren Ellis in it. I have that one in a long box somewhere. I'll have to dig it out.

6. Yeah, so I finally reread that first TPB. Dialogue's good. Story's OK but the big reveal comes too quick and with very little punch. "Hey look, the murderer's drawing graffiti next to a couple of cops and a little girl who were having a prolonged conversation, such that it would have been easy and intuitive for any normal person to hide or flee before they actually got nearby with them being none the wiser! But not this guy, he's just standing there in plain sight, going about his business! How convenient!" Ugh. Stunk highly of "all right, let's just wrap this arc up quick."

Also, I hate hate hate the way Oeming draws big smiles on females.

7. Well, I think the series get better over time.

Oeming shops at one of the stores in the comic book store chain I work at, and in the lastest issue (22 I think) he put one of the guys I work with in the Comic. As a comic book store employee of course. Though I guy I work with wasn't to happy with the dialog because he never curses personally. I find it all very funny.

Also what happened to Ode To Kirihito being the sticky?

8. Chux doesn't like me. ):
    Donk

9. Chux is a monster, what do you expect?

10. Brian Michael Bendis is over-fucking-rated.