Page 5 of 101 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Official post-launch Playstation 3 thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by dog$ View Post
    Said it before, will again;

I was contemplating making a Mame PC at one point, after experiencing it on Xbox. But then the reports surfaced of Linux on PS3 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIWwcGCI_nY

so basically I can either spend $500 on a shitty PC for Mame or get a PS3 for Mame (given that PS3 Mame will eventually exist). I'd rather get the system. And wouldn't you know that for my values and desires, that makes the PS3 more worthwhile than a 360 or Wii right off the bat.

Why don't you just use the PC you're on for mame?

Seriously mame doesn't require a whole lot to run, I ran it back in the day perfectly for like 90% of the games it supports on a PIII 800 with 384 megs of ram.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1CC View Post

Stupid. You have to have the system "verify" any controller before it's used.
    WTF Sony. If I take a wireless controller to Korly's house I can go right ahead and use it. Same with a Wiimote (Granted you have to sync, but that's literally one button)

3. Firmware updates will pwn this.
    I wish they wouldn't, but we saw the PSP.
    Mame on PSP will be a legit piece of software, not an exploit-driven hack. There's a huge difference between sanctioned Linux allowing for homebrew and a PSP firmware exploit that allows for PSP game piracy.

That said, I've heard some bad things about the general speed of Linux (Fedora, at least) on the PS3 right now. Hopefully YDL Linux will be fast enough to run most Mame stuff at full speed while scaling to HD resolutions.

4. speak of the devil

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1CC View Post
    Stupid. You have to have the system "verify" any controller before it's used.
    yes, because it's a normal bluetooth device... It's not even that big of an issue, it takes like two seconds to synchronize and is no different than how the 360 and Wii synchronize except that you need a 35 cent cord that anybody that owns the console will have anyway.

anyway:

about linux, I think most of the speed issues stem from it using gnome as its default desktop environment. I'm sure something like xfce running on it instead will make it a lot more snappier, and with the introduction of accelerated nvidia video drivers (whenever the hell that happens) it will improve shit like desktop resolution, video playback and game emulation ten fold.

also: SCEA is supposedly going to be doing weekly shipments of the consoles because they still want to meet their 1 million quota by years end projection, which partially explains the majority of ebay ps3 sales only going for 1-300 above retail. I'm expecting/hoping to find one in store by Christmas for myself.

6. That match was just fucking terrible. Everyone knows Red Venom is where it's at.

7. I've actually heard that retailers are reporting that their next shipment will be on December 12, and that all we might be getting before the end of the year is another 200k units or so.

I hold stock in this because reports of a 200k launch day number in the US turned out to be correct.

EDIT: Found the source http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/21/ps...n-goals-again/

As predicted, Sony missed the 400,000 goal for US launch; many analysts predicted they only reached half that amount. To add insult to injury, some analysts expect Sony to only make roughly 10% of the original 4 million promised by year's end.
    ANOTHER EDIT: Kotaku just reported what you claimed, that shipments are coming in on a weekly basis and are aiming for a million by year's end. Which turns out to be true we'll just have to see.
    Last edited by George; 21 Nov 2006 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Why don't you just use the PC you're on for mame?

Seriously mame doesn't require a whole lot to run, I ran it back in the day perfectly for like 90% of the games it supports on a PIII 800 with 384 megs of ram.
    Well a few reasons:

1) My machine here is 1.2ghz/512mb, so it's not much better ... and doing anything PC wise on this machine now is a gigantic pain in the ass. Everything takes forever. Part of the reason why I wanted something better than an Xbox for Mame was so that I could potentially run the CPS3 games and the like - I wanted something with more power.

2) I wanted to have a machine I could easily take around. Lugging a tower and USB adaptors around wouldn't be horrible but having a console would be easier.

3) I wanted to have a standalone machine that I could leave hooked up to my TV. This goes back to my whole "I have a $1000 entertainment center and I like using it" schpiel I use for all my anti-handheld shit. It'd be easier to leave the machine there instead of fucking around with my PC all the time just to hook it up and play some Mame on the TV.

9. Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword View Post

ANOTHER EDIT: Kotaku just reported what you claimed, that shipments are coming in on a weekly basis and are aiming for a million by year's end. Which turns out to be true we'll just have to see.
    I figured they would have reported on it, as I read it second-hand from a SCEA email. But yeah, it's all up to waiting and seeing if they can actually fill that 1M mark now. I still want one by years end though, need some time to break it in for VF5.

vvv can I buy one? I got $400 in COLD HARD $$$CA$H$$$ coming to me next week that I will exchange for a 60GB model
    Last edited by cka; 22 Nov 2006 at 12:05 AM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword View Post
    I've actually heard that retailers are reporting that their next shipment will be on December 12, and that all we might be getting before the end of the year is another 200k units or so.
    oh gee yippee. Maybe we can sell 6 more with ZERO games and accessories sold. That would be fantastic!
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle