Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: LCD HDTV

1. LCD HDTV

Are there any big tv tech heads here? I have some resolution questions. I have been shopping on Newegg for a new widescreen lcd monitor. I wanted to use this for the Xbox 360 I will purchasing soon.

I noticed in the descriptions of the monitors it has a recommended resolution, which I assume is the native resolution. It seems that most if not all of the resolutions are not directly 720p (1280x720) or 1080p (1920x1080).

This worries me slightly because from what I understand once you go away from the native resolution of the monitor the picture quality suffers. The Xbox 360 kiosks that are in best buys and Gamestops come to mind. It just looks like there is so much aliasing (jaggies) in the picture. I am assuming that those jaggies are a result of going out of the native resolution of the monitor.

Can anyone correct any of my assumptions or clarify if this correct and/or if it is something I need to worry about.

At the very most I want to avoid the picture quality that I see on those kiosks in BB and GS.

Get a monitor that does 1080p or go home.

3. What would this forum be with out Josh?

Gay.

5. I don't want to live in a world without Josh

Neither do I.

7. Quote Originally Posted by nameless_one View Post
    Are there any big tv tech heads here? I have some resolution questions. I have been shopping on Newegg for a new widescreen lcd monitor. I wanted to use this for the Xbox 360 I will purchasing soon.

I noticed in the descriptions of the monitors it has a recommended resolution, which I assume is the native resolution. It seems that most if not all of the resolutions are not directly 720p (1280x720) or 1080p (1920x1080).

This worries me slightly because from what I understand once you go away from the native resolution of the monitor the picture quality suffers. The Xbox 360 kiosks that are in best buys and Gamestops come to mind. It just looks like there is so much aliasing (jaggies) in the picture. I am assuming that those jaggies are a result of going out of the native resolution of the monitor.

Can anyone correct any of my assumptions or clarify if this correct and/or if it is something I need to worry about.

At the very most I want to avoid the picture quality that I see on those kiosks in BB and GS.
    pretty much most wide screen LCD tvs that are 720p are instead of 1280 x 720 1368 x 766 if I remember right (or some where basically around there). It's no big deal they all do some basic adjusting to the image to correct that and you won't notice it at all. As far as the TVs you see on display at ebs and such, well chances are they arent calibrated, and who knows what they're hooked up with be it composite. S-video, or Component. If it's anything less than component then the signal isn't an HD signal being sent. Then there's that too you don't know what the demos or the dashboard is set to display in.

You have to ask yourself how much are you looking to spend, what size tv do you want, etc etc. If you have that info people can offer some suggestions then. I know some place for black friday is going to have Westinghouse's old model 32 inch 720p tv the LTV-32W3 on sale for something crazy like 400 bucks. Which is a pretty good tv overall and a nice jumping in point for HD stuff, specially if the only HD source you have right now will be a 360.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

8. Well I think I found a good choice. Anyone have one of these

9. It is down to two choices, one is an lcd tv and the other is a monitor

It seems that if I want to use this for pc gaming the monitor is much easier to deal with resolutions, but if that's the case I see no reason why not to get the monitor. Unless someone can see any negatives for using the monitor for DVD, Xbox 360, and maybe hdtv viewing as well. Any one know if there is a difference in quality between the two types when comparing those three formats.