Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gameplay and Design Origins Discussion Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    It came to mind but it's from 1985 while Excitebike is from 1984. It's still cool though.
    According to this entry in Wikipedia; the Famicom Disk System edition didn't arrive until 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    An enhanced version was released in 1987 for Nintendo's Vs. Unisystem and in Japan for the Famicom Disk System. The FDS version contains different music and a versus mode for two players. Its rewritable disk format allows the player to save created tracks.

I'm not seeing the puzzle side to Miner 2049'er either.
    Really?

I was thinking that you would recognise the puzzle aspects of this game. The level I posted a pic of, was a puzzle in itself.

what was the first game that gave you a "recover" like option when you got hit?

An example would be the ring system in the Sonic games.

Did sonic start that, or did sega get that from somewhere else? I recall it being one of the best things about the game back when a lot of gen games were one/two hits and you were fucked.

3. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I was thinking that you would recognise the puzzle aspects of this game. The level I posted a pic of, was a puzzle in itself.
    No more than Donkey Kong or Pac-Man. Having a vaguely puzzle like element to it doesn't make it a puzzle platformer. The primary challenge in the game has to come from puzzle solving to be a puzzle platformer. Miner 2049er was definitely more arcade influenced than anything else.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 26 Nov 2006 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    According to this entry in Wikipedia; the Famicom Disk System edition didn't arrive until 1987.
    But the original cartridge version had an editor too.

5. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    But the original cartridge version had an editor too.
    That's cool, Excitebike gets credit being the first racer with a track editor, but RDS should be credited for having a track editor that saves the edited tracks. Plus you could alter the gravity of the tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    No more than Donkey Kong or Pac-Man. Having a vaguely puzzle like element to it doesn't make it a puzzle platformer. The primary challenge in the game has to come from puzzle solving to be a puzzle platformer. Miner 2049er was definitely more arcade influenced than anything else.
    I think the major difference between Miner 2049er and Donkey Kong is that it's obvious how to complete the level in DK. In Miner 2049er, most of the challenge is from figuring out the exact route required to finish the level.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    I think the major difference between Miner 2049er and Donkey Kong is that it's obvious how to complete the level in DK. In Miner 2049er, most of the challenge is from figuring out the exact route required to finish the level.
    Exactly. Although there is an arcade element to the game (avoiding the mutants and then gobbling them Pac-Man style after grabbing a power-up), the challenge lies in figuring out the best, most efficient route through the level. This involves a mixture of logic, trial-and-error, and dexterity.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

8. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    RDS should be credited for having a track editor that saves the edited tracks. Plus you could alter the gravity of the tracks.
    RDS should also be credited for rocking my face.

Some more I'm wondering about:

What was the first game where you could pick up enemies and throw them? Doki Doki Panic(1987) comes to mind but that seems a bit late for the concept to be introduced.

What was the first sci-fi themed JRPG? The oldest I can think of is Cosmic Soldier for the PC88(1985).

What was first game to have an instrument where you had to play tunes for magic spells(like in Ocarina of Time)? 1990's Loom comes to mind but there are probably earlier ones. Wonder Boy in Monster World(1991) is the oldest I can think of that specifically uses an ocarina.

Is their a stealth game older than 1981's Castle Wolfenstein?

10. I agree, RDS was awesome!
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.