Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XBox Nation...Awesome

1. XBox Nation...Awesome

Is it just me or is this one of the finest mags on the market? It came out of left field for me, I just picked one up and was floored by the quality in the writing and layout...Reminds me of a cross between the professional slickness of Next Gen and the passion of Gamefan.....me like...

btw, BebopLover, happy 23rd b-day man! another year of gaming awaits...
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Redterrier

2. I'll admit it's slick, and the reviews have improved in quality since the crappy ones in issue 1... but I still prefer OXM and XBM.

3. they did put panzer on the front...BUT...it's ZD...there is always a hidden motive with those guys

4. Yeah, I flipped through the latest issue and was quite impressed... That Panzer Dragoon cover was ultra-schway and the design is slick as hell. If only it was monthly and came with a demo disc...

5. XBN would be a far better magazine if it were not riddled with misspellings, illogical word choices, and poor grammar. I was surprised to find even more errors in the June issue than in your typical issue of Diehard Gamefan (and that was notorious for such mistakes.) The letters page even had a complaint about this very thing, but it was laughed off in typical post-GamePlayers fashion.

That said, I was impressed with the candor of the writers. After E3, I finally began feeling enthusiastic about the XBox, so some of the comments in XBN, relating to the Xbox's poor library, took me aback. That level of honesty in a magazine devoted to one system is morally commendable, if financially questionable.

Also, as I was telling bahn a few days ago, Greg Orlando, who writes for XBN, is maybe the best writer any video game print mag has. I would bet that a lot of the writing that impressed you was his. (Incidentally, I think Greg is the guy who ran over a PS2 in the classic Daily Radar movie.)

Let's hope XBN hires some competent proof readers, because they do have a lot of potential - and with the Xbox gaining more steam, they will have more than ever to write about.

6. Well, I looked through it when I was at the book store today at lunch. Not bad of a mag, nice Orta cover, and some nice articles inside.

Also picked up new Issue of Play

7. Do NOT get me started on play.

Dave Halverson is twice the ass-kisser Arsenio ever was. Read that Sly Cooper interview for a perfect example. Does anyone believe that Dave actually asks the questions the way they are written?

(simulation) "Oh, you have created the furry critter game to end all furry critter games. Sly is a brilliant example of perfect gameplay. When I first heard the inimitable voice-acting in this title, I was moved to shove a whole box's worth of Kleenex down the front of my pants. How do you do it?"

Now, Sly looks like it will be one of the better 3D platformers, but the mag is filled with this type of elaborate praise. You get the impression he will rave about anything to ensure he gets more interviews and swag.

I also like where he said that it would be "cool" if the game was not accommodating to less-experienced players. I will post the exact quote when I get home. Funny stuff.

8. Is it possible to subscribe to Xbox Nation yet?

I went looking all over Edinburgh for a news agent that could get me a copy, but no such luck.

If they do subscriptions now, could someone post the phone number?

Thanks.

9. Originally posted by Nick
    That said, I was impressed with the candor of the writers. After E3, I finally began feeling enthusiastic about the XBox, so some of the comments in XBN, relating to the Xbox's poor library, took me aback. That level of honesty in a magazine devoted to one system is morally commendable, if financially questionable.
    Calling Xboxs library 'poor' is far from honest. Jaded maybe, but not honest...

10. Greg Orlando was indeed the one who ran over a PS2 at Daily Radar. He also wrote for Wizard magazine for a long time. I miss Daily radar. One of the few sites that was as big as ign, and also free. Its death really came out of left field.