Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: GBA Wrap-Up: GameBoy <Random Adjective>

1. Rebel Star - Tactical Command
    I need to play this. I remember deciding to skip it after I heard that it wasn't too similar to X-Com overall, but I'm sure it's still excellent.

2. Metroid Zero Mission / Fusion
    Puzzle League/Dr. Mario
    WarioWare & WW Twisted
    Advance Wars 2 (Yes, I know DS has more, but this has a better story mode, no annoying sprite scaling, and none of DS' (imo) game-breaking double team system. Also, a GB Micro is a lot more portable than a DS.)
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
    Zelda: Minish Cap
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow & Circle of the Moon
    Warioland 4
    Fire Emblem / FE: Sacred Stones
    Ninja Five-O
    Pinball of the Dead
    Megaman Zero 1-4
    Megaman Battle Network 2 or 3 (also maybe 6, I dunno)- fun but completely interchangable, just get one.
    Astro Boy
    Golden Sun: The Lost Age
    Gradius Galaxies (I liked it, anyway)
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (It's great for ~50 hours until the laws start going nutty.)
    Boktai (maybe 2 as well, haven't played it)

3. Advance Wars 2
    Ninja Five-O
    Astro Boy: Omega Factor

Excluding remakes and ports, that's it.

Of the games other people listed:

Rebelstar: Tactical Command: The battles are just like X-Com, but the game is too slow paced and unpolished for my tastes.

Tactics Ogre: Dreadful. Like all the TO games, this is about as fun as watching paint dry. Each battle takes about an hour, and the skill system is completely impenetrable without a FAQ.

Castlevanias: SoD is the worst Castlevania game I've played. Sound and level design are atrocious. AoS is okay, but not memorable. Neither is fit to carry the spitbucket of SotN. CotM, I haven't played.

Metroid: Zero Mission: Pretty good, but it's a remake so I didn't list it.

I'm hard pressed to remember any other truly classic, original, must-have games on the GBA. I haven't played Drill Dozer yet.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

4. Quote Originally Posted by Thief Silver View Post
    That's in my list of the must avoid.
    It's not on par with normal Tactics for sure, but it was still a good game. I'd keep it on my GBA must-have list anyway.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Nomi View Post
    It's not on par with normal Tactics for sure, but it was still a good game. I'd keep it on my GBA must-have list anyway.
    It was absolute garbage, it was boring as all mighty hell, no story, law system was retarded as fuck, FFTA was one of the worst games and biggest dissapointments ever.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I still contend that the GBA had the best lineup out of any of its contemporaries (PS2, Xbox, or GC). Thanks to the GBP, I could the games without going blind too. I keep debating trying to go back and really build a nice GBA collection as it dies off, but complete games are so hard to find consistently.
    I agree. Since the games came in a cardboard box, some of the complete stuff will end up being pretty expensive in the long run. I bet Ninja 5-0 will be one of those games

I enjoy revisiting the early GBA games now with my DS lite. I'm currently playing through Castlevania Circle of the Moon as we speak. Oh and the original Yoshi Island as well.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Thief Silver View Post
    It was absolute garbage, it was boring as all mighty hell, no story, law system was retarded as fuck, FFTA was one of the worst games and biggest dissapointments ever.
    I had not played the real Tactics before Tactics Advance. In that sequence, Advance was a perfectly enjoyable game followed by a perfectly better and more enjoyable game. Stop trying to compare the two and you might get some entertainment out of FFTA.

8. Neo-Geo Pocket

Best:
    Advance Guardian Heroes - fun and challenging beat 'em up with a twist. i normally hate beat 'em ups, but the counter system actually makes it not as brainless!
    Advance Wars - incredible strat game. <3 if the game ended at the tutorial, i would have considered it a great game already.
    Drill Dozer - my favorite game on the GBA. clever & creative all the way through. reminds me a lot of old Treasure platformers.
    Rhythm Tengoku - I'm a sucker for rhythm games in general, but this one is great. think wario ware inc with wacky jappy rhythm as the focus

Good:
    Final Fantasy V Advance - Final Fantasy sucks, but FFV is the most tolerable of all of them. the gba port is pretty good, with extra classes, a new dungeon and faster speed.
    Klonoa Empire of Dreams - great puzzle platformer. more about brain power than reflex.
    Megaman Zero - hard as nails action game that rewards patience and persistence
    Megaman Zero 2 - same as above, with better stage design
    Ninja Five 0 - shinobi meets bionic commando. great action game.
    Riviera - unique RPG that's unlike any other.
    Sonic Advance - i liked it... out of all the post Sonic the Hedgehog games, it feels the most like the original

Mediocre:
    Astro Boy: Omega Factor - some interesting boss fights, but otherwise pretty dull. nothing unique about it.
    Boktai - MGS with vampires? if you're not using original gba, it's hard to charge the sun meter.
    Gunstar Super Heroes - see Astro Boy. same old same old stuff.
    Hajime no Ippo - decent fast paced boxing game, but at every moment I'm longing for the original MT's Punchout
    Megaman Battle Network - actually this is a pretty good game. I have oodles of respect for Capcom for creating such a unique system that combines elements from action games & magic the gathering. but the fatal flaw is the irritating number of random battles.
    Metroid Fusion - love the challenging boss fights. hate the handholding and barriers to exploration.

Poor:
    Lunar Legend - it's Lunar but Final Fantasized. wretched. but at least it looks nice.
    Sonic Advance 2 - speed-focused sonic = crappy sonic
    Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis - crappiest SRPG I've ever played. no options. no depth. no strategy. you can tell Matsuno wasn't on the project.

Edit: I should say I played Knight of Lodis before I played the SFC/SS/PSX Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. I did later play the SS TO:LUCT and now that is my favorite SRPG of all time. TO:KoL is just retarded.
    Last edited by Tsubaki; 27 Nov 2006 at 03:54 PM.

9. Advance Wars (both)
    Fire Emblem (both)
    Golden Sun (both)
    Iridion II
    Karnaaj Rally
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Mario Golf
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
    Medal of Honor: Infiltrator
    Ninja Five-O
    River City Ransom EX
    Super Mario World
    Wario Ware
    Last edited by Scourge; 27 Nov 2006 at 04:06 PM.

10. I'll add Yggdra Union when I'm done, the more I play this game though the more enjoyable it gets.