Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad News in the comic world

1. Scott Tipton wrote about Cockrum in his latest Comics 101 column. Here's an interesting tidbit from the article.
    As for Nightcrawler in particular, Cockrum had originally intended to use him over at DC Comics in LEGION OF SUPERHEROES (where Cockrum also put his famous costume-design skills to good use), but the character was rejected as looking “too scary” by the series’ editor.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

2. Quote Originally Posted by JesusC View Post
    Cockrum was one of those talents that I always felt never got enough respect. Real clean lines, great designs (Nightcrawler is my favorite looking X man). I'll have to dig out some of my old Futurians stuff and read through it again.
    Agreed and Ditko got the least amount of respect over at Marvel and Stan Lee. I think they still don't talk to each other and Ditko still has a grudge against Lee? Am I right?
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

3. As of an interview I read a couple years ago that was true.

4. And didn't the feud stem from Ditko not getting recognition for his contributions on Spiderman? I know that Ditko liked the fact that Rami included that when he did the credits for Spiderman.

5. Sad news, indeed.

The past 10 years of his life has been a series of illnesses, bad-mouthing (by used condom John Byrne) and financial difficulties. His wife has been a pillar of strength every step of the way. I can't even imagine the grief she's feeling now.

I know business is business, but this guy created Storm, Nightcrawler and Colossus, three of the most popular and endearing X-Men of all time. He's a large reason the X-Men is the cash cow it is today. Royalties, in the way that DC extended to Neal Adams for his Batman contribution, is the LEAST Marvel could do.

Ah well. The best we can do now is celebrate his successes. Check out Uncanny X-Men 153 and his Legion work. It's incredible.

6. I agree Marvel should donate money to his family. Open a scholorship fund for his grandkids. He did so much for Marvel and back in the day publisher only rights sucked shit.

7. not that it's anywhere near enough, I heard Marvel has been picking up the tab for his medical costs for the past year or so. Still, he and his family deserve so much more.