Page 15 of 333 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: Official MMA Discussion Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    Bullshit. You go back and watch the fight. I admit Hughes was getting beat, but what hurt Penn's ribs was a kick to his ribs.
    I don't have the means to watch the fight right now, but I don't recall seeing Hughes land a decent hit in the first two rounds. This is also the first I've ever seen it suggested that Hughes injured Penn's ribs with a kick in all my forum lurking.
    Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    and silva's loss to cro cop shouldn't have any effect of silva's reputation or standings in his respected weight class since it was an open weight tourney and cro cop is way bigger..
    Cro Cop isn't way bigger. He fights at 220 and is a bit of a small heavyweight. Wanderlei probably weighs near the same when he isn't cutting to make 205.

Though I agree that it's no dent to his reputation to lose to Mirko. Wanderlei just isn't in his league. Not many fighters are.

2. that's crazy, i didn't know they were that close in weight.

this fight needs to happen, hopefully in a venue that uses pride rules.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

3. Silva outweighed Cro Cop by 5 pounds in their last fight, so weight class had little to do with it. There's no way that after taking as bad a beating as Silva did that he would be ready for another fight in November. According to Dana White:

"It kind of defeats the purpose now. The guy just got, literally, destroyed. They're (PRIDE) still saying we can do a fight in November. They can't do a fight in November. The athletic commission would put them on suspension for 90 days. The guy got knocked out cold. First, he got beaten to death, then he got knocked out cold. There's no way the guy could fight again in a month and a half. Plus, he just lost."

Edit: Just rewatched the Japanese broadcast of Silva/Mirko for the exact numbers: Silva was at 102.3 kg and Mirko 100.6 kg. So about 5 pounds difference.
    Last edited by Kaneda; 08 Feb 2007 at 01:28 AM.

4. I believe when Silva first started fighting MMA professionally he fought at 185 and then moved up to 200/205 a few years later. Word is he roids like crazy. Generally adding muscle and moving up in weight classes is a bad idea, although if you're good enough it can work (Silva and Penn being the two obvious examples). You could tell that Cro Cop looked bigger when they fought even though Silva was a little heavier.

5. Okay, this may sound strange, but I follow MMA like most people follow mainstream sports. I was thinking the other day why there isn't any "Fantasy MMA" league or something where you pick winners, or where you have a stable of fighters. Big fights would be worth more points, and it would also help expose the smaller shows.

I found http://fantasyfightclub.com/ but I'm not sure if there is a catch and I don't want to register if there is one. Any of you guys know of something cool like this that we could do?

I am so down for a TNL MMA Fantasy League. I think it would be awesome, and because fights aren't as frequent as say, baseball games, it would be easier to manage.

I'll look into this one, but I'll also keep an eye out for something similar elsewhere.

How many of you guys would be interested?

6. I registered at the site above and it isn't really what I was looking for. It is basically "fantasy betting" where you bet your points on whatever fights you want. I was really hoping to draft a stable of fighters and get points when they won in different ways and such.

Is tonight the night that Showtime is broadcasting that one fight?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Is tonight the night that Showtime is broadcasting that one fight?
    Yes.

I like it when Shamrock kneed Gracie in his vagina and the fight stopped.

10. So the Showtime MMA thing was good?

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww