Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Plasma TV gaming concerns

1. New Plasma TV gaming concerns

My brother recently bought a brand new LG 52 inch widescreen plasma TV. Tonight while he was playing Metroid Prime Echoes, there were a few times where we noticed some slight ghosting on the screen which either came from the game level itself or from the HUD (it happened after he'd been reading some scanned info) It only lasted about a few split seconds each time but enough to be a concern and seemed to occur when he turned the TV off and back on as a test.

Can HUDs in games like Metroid or static placeholders in games, radar, item counters, ect. easily cause burn in on current plasma TV screens? We never leave our games paused for extended periods of time, mind you. But this is an expensive new TV and he just wants to be sure he is taking good care of it. He is also wondering if the Wiimote could in any way adversely affect the Plasma.

He realizes that the wiimote doesn't interact with the TV screen but with the system itself and the sensor (even though that is just the LEDs obviously). But he says he has heard stories about signal interference from sound systems or wireless devices causing issues with high end TVs and just wants to be cautious. Anyways, any information from the experienced folks here would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 02 Dec 2006 at 03:18 AM.

2. That's not ghosting, it's image retention. Google Plasma break in procedures. They are very susceptible to it at the begining, and for the first 100 hours should be run at low brightness with care not to play too long. After that it shouldn't be as much of an issue. Most plasma sets have a built in screen to make the images go away.

The Wiimote won't do anything and you shouldn't be getting interference.
    Last edited by stormy; 02 Dec 2006 at 01:15 PM.

3. Cool, thanks for the info, Stormy. I forgot to add that my brother lowered the brightness on both the TV menu and in the game's options, and it didn't occur after that. I will show him this thread and google that info too. Thanks again.

Anyways, looking forward to trying Radiant Silvergun on this baby with my Saturn RGB adaptor cable.

edit: After googling, I read on an AV forum that viewing everything in stretched mode instead of 4:3 possibly makes this less of an issue? My brother plays his GC and XBox games all in full screen. And regarding Metroid Prime, he lowered the opacity of the visor in the game's settings so you can see right through her helmet. I'm assuming this would help a lot too?
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 02 Dec 2006 at 05:44 PM.

4. Yeah, use stretch mode on 4:3 stuff so the phosphurs on the sides aren't showing steady black for long periods. Everything you're doing now sounds good. How is gaming on the tv? Sounds like a nice set.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1CC View Post
    he lowered the opacity of the visor
    What the hell there was an actual setting for this?

6. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    Yeah, use stretch mode on 4:3 stuff so the phosphurs on the sides aren't showing steady black for long periods. Everything you're doing now sounds good. How is gaming on the tv? Sounds like a nice set.
    Glad to hear it, I informed him of what you told me and the info you pointed me to. Gaming on the TV is great, especially widescreen movies. We've been taking turns playing Echoes all day on it and no issues after making the brightness adjustments.

The screen is gorgeous and vivid no matter what angle you sit at of course. We just need to get some component cables (composite still looks surprisingly decent though).

GC component cables are expensive, so I will just wait until I get a Wii then purchase some component for that. Only thing I am wondering with the Wii is, can you still enable progressive scan mode in GC games?

And I still will eventually hit up ebay for GC component since we also have a GBA player for our Cube and I'd love to see what Gunstar Super Heroes and Metroid Zero Mission look like on this baby, but not in composite, ick.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    What the hell there was an actual setting for this?
    Yep, it's in the options/display menu somewhere. In fact, you can even turn the helmet completely off in Prime 1 (except for maps and radar of course which can only be dimmed)
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 02 Dec 2006 at 10:10 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1CC View Post
    Only thing I am wondering with the Wii is, can you still enable progressive scan mode in GC games?
    Yes, you can.

8. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    Yeah, use stretch mode on 4:3 stuff so the phosphurs on the sides aren't showing steady black for long periods. Everything you're doing now sounds good. How is gaming on the tv? Sounds like a nice set.
    I'd rather have black bars burnt-in to my brand new $3000 TV than watch any 4:3 material in stretch mode. That stretched shit is pure pain to my eyes.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1CC View Post
    My brother recently bought a brand new LG 52 inch widescreen plasma TV. Tonight while he was playing Metroid Prime Echoes, there were a few times where we noticed some slight ghosting on the screen which either came from the game level itself or from the HUD (it happened after he'd been reading some scanned info) It only lasted about a few split seconds each time but enough to be a concern and seemed to occur when he turned the TV off and back on as a test.

Can HUDs in games like Metroid or static placeholders in games, radar, item counters, ect. easily cause burn in on current plasma TV screens? We never leave our games paused for extended periods of time, mind you. But this is an expensive new TV and he just wants to be sure he is taking good care of it. He is also wondering if the Wiimote could in any way adversely affect the Plasma.

He realizes that the wiimote doesn't interact with the TV screen but with the system itself and the sensor (even though that is just the LEDs obviously). But he says he has heard stories about signal interference from sound systems or wireless devices causing issues with high end TVs and just wants to be cautious. Anyways, any information from the experienced folks here would be greatly appreciated!
    Dylan, i recommend following this break-in procedure. a guy at AVS created a CD/DVD with with multiple colors that cycle through in widescreen mode for 16 hours....

check this post out, it has all the info you need:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=583089

i recommend you go for it is you still have less than 100 hours on your plasma.

goodluck.

Dylan: If you check ebay now, GC component cables aren't that expensive anymore. More than generic PS2 cables, yes, but not that bad. I was going to put my cube cables up on ebay to get some Xmas cash since I got my Wii cables, and the fuckers are only selling for like 30-40 bucks instead of 60-80 now.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.