Thread: Prints from Rome & Beyond

1. Prints from Rome & Beyond

I finally got around to scanning my work from my semester in Italy, along with some summer work & current class prints. I've also got two 4x6ft. woodblocks that I did over the summer, which I hope to be photographing sometime soon.

The first group of prints are the main project from Rome, which was to make an Artist book. I chose to make five prints based off of Josef Koudelka photos, and to try to experiment with the plates & printing as much as possible. My initial plan was for one long book with many pages of the same repeating five plates, but to create some sort of rhythm through different colors & styles, but as the project continued I had so many prints of such varying quality that I decided to separate the prints into four groups. So I ended up binding four separate books with a traditional japanese bind. The first five pictures are the five plates, simply printed black & white on a cream paper (although they look slightly greenish, the scanner kinda screwed with the color) with the other three being my three favorite alternate versions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bookplate1.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	20788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bookplate2.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	20789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bookplate3.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	20790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bookplate4.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	20791  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bookplate5.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	20792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bookplatebrownypurple.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	20793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bookplatepurple.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	20794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bookplateredyellow.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	20795  

2. Next are a set of prints I worked on over the summer, when I tested my hand at a three plate color etching, where you layer three different plates with different colors to form one image. First are the three plates themselves, and then four color variations of them together.

Name:	Plate(3).jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	284.2 KB 
ID:	20796   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plate(2).jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	20797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plate.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	273.5 KB 
ID:	20798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	threeplate1.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	20799  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	threeplate2.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	20800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	threeplate3.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	20801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	threeplate4.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	20802  
    Last edited by FirstBlood; 29 Sep 2006 at 07:02 PM.

3. And lastly is my current work, which are the first two plates from my advanced etching class. While I will say they are complete, I'm definitely not satisfied with them. In the first plate I think I just pushed the texture too hard and lost the balance between the figure and the background while completely forgetting to consider the space of the piece. I tried to save it by stenciling the white opposing figure, which I think somewhat balances it and saves it from being a complete failure, but I still don't think it's anywhere near being evidence of me at my best.

The second plate is where I tried to mix things up by enlarging the figure in the composition, and also slicing the sides of the plate to break away from the normal rectangle. I think it's more sucessful than the first print but I still don't think it's as strong as I'd like it to be. The outline of the figure is etched incredibly deep, so it makes for an beautiful embossing, but those don't scan well so we're left with the black & white and a color variation on blue paper for display.

Hopefully my next project will come out a bit better.

That's It I think. Any critiques appreciated.

ps: everything is for sale, buy my shit lawl

Name:	opposedfigures.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	20803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oblongplate.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	20804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oblongplate1.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	20805  
    Last edited by FirstBlood; 29 Sep 2006 at 07:01 PM.

4. I really like the left one on the last post. I think the white figure really brings it all together, and i love the texture, especially that insanity in the upper left.

is my favorite. Evokes lonileness and balance of whatnot and things of such nature. I'd like to see it done in colors. Your colored pieces are all nice, being subdued and such and what have you.

Also, last on first set and last on second.

I look forward to seeing the big woodblocks.

): I should take a print class one day. It seems like it'd be enjoyable.
    Donk

5. I like this one because I'm a bigger fan of the scaled back texture work and the strong graphic quality in the lines and composition. I'm not sure if it being square would have added or detracted anything from it.

The coloured one doesn't have as much strength to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. My favorite is the same as Finch's. I'm sort of curious where that one falls in your eyes since it most resembles a straightforward "character in setting" illustration. I think the color ones don't have a strong enough value range so I like the black and white stuff better. I like the isolated color in the image in your sig though.

7. I also like that one (not my fav though), but more for the hatching texture patchwork in the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. Quote Originally Posted by rezo View Post
    My favorite is the same as Finch's. I'm sort of curious where that one falls in your eyes since it most resembles a straightforward "character in setting" illustration.
    The one-legged man is probably my least favorite of the set. While I understand the emotional impact of the image, it isn't my image so I tend to focus more on the techincal aspects of what i've done to the image, and I think I overdid the hatching, and the gray texture that covers the entire page kind of flattens everything. Plus, the central figure is rather uninteresting (other than his lack of a leg), and if I was going to choose a composition with a centralized figure, I'd definitely want it to be more interesting.

I think the color ones don't have a strong enough value range so I like the black and white stuff better. I like the isolated color in the image in your sig though.
    The range comes through much better in person. The scanner seemed to kill any depth that the color actually has.

9. Good stuff Firstblood. Your work has come a long way since you started posting stuff here. Good to see all the college money going to good use.