Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Godfather of Soul' James Brown Dead

1. 'Godfather of Soul' James Brown Dead

ASHINGTON (AFP) - US Singer
    James Brown, known as the "godfather of soul", has died in the southern city of Atlanta at the age of 73, US media reported.

The reports said Monday he had checked in with pneumonia late Sunday into Emory Crawford Long Hospital, but hospital officials contacted early Monday declined to confirm or deny the accounts.

Brown began his professional music career in 1953 and achieved fame in the late 1950s and early 1960s after captivating the public by his live performances and a number of recorded hit songs.

The 1960s was the period of Brown's greatest popular success.

Two of his tunes, "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" and "I Got You (I Feel Good)," hit the Top 10 pop lists, remaining the top-selling single in black venues for over a month apiece.

His national profile was further boosted that year by appearances in the films "Ski Party" and the concert film "The T.A.M.I. Show."
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061225...h_061225090040

According to this documentary Jame's soul was once headed straight to hell:

2. I'm honestly surprised he lived as long as he did. I loved his music, and I'll either listen to some of his albums or watch the Simpsons episode he was to pay a quick tribute to him today.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

3. He always had the most F'ed up dance style and I'm pretty upset I'm not gonna see it anymore.

4. RIP James Brown, your music will be missed, the rest of you, meh.

5. Your drunken antics will be missed... I guess L.A. Style wins?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr_6q9DcSiM
    Last edited by dakidski; 25 Dec 2006 at 08:53 AM.

6. RIP, you will be missed by many.
    Dont be a robot, be human.
    PSN: Di3heart

7. Yay, let the requisite "bitch and moan fest whenever a celebrity dies" commence!
    Say you like it/Say you need it/When you don't
    Looking better/Shining brighter/Than you do

8. ban plz.

9. It's offical remember James Brown day

It's a sad day for everyone. Christmas will now officially be "Remember James Brown Day".

Last edited by Brand X; 25 Dec 2006 at 12:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Galaxia View Post
    Yay, let the requisite "bitch and moan fest whenever a celebrity dies" commence!
    I can and hopefully will never understand how anyone can think this way.

We all mourn the death of people we admire. Celebrities (while some undeserving) just gain more of said admiration than those of us who are not. It's not a matter of importance (unless you're talking about someone who has the direct ability to change all our lives, like politicians), just that someone who has touched a lot of people has passed on, people would want to know about it, so the news feel obligated to report it. Simple as that.

I especially can't understand why you would say such things in a thread about James Brown! He's only one of the greatest and biggest musical figures of the past century. Forget about musical tastes: he helped shape popular music as it is currently. Funk, R&B, Disco, Hip-Hop, hell even Rock and Jazz; all current artists should worship at his alter. His live show by all accounts were incredible. I regret not having the opporturnity to see one for myself (and I was planning to pretty soon, my friend's band was supposed to open for him next year ). Not only that, but the things he did for African Americans puts him in another category altogether.

This man is a legend. All the praise he will inevitably get is more than deserved, even with all the negativity in his personal life. Shame on you for sullying a thread about the hardest working man in showbusiness: The Godfather of Soul himself - James Brown.

James, you will be missed. The world just won't be the same without you.